What happened to the NURBANA implementation?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Delta

What happened to the NURBANA implementation?

Post by Delta »

is anyone still working on incorporating NURBANA into Blender?

Regards,
~Delta

bullx

Post by bullx »

i'm wondering the same thing.

mjordan

Post by mjordan »

I asked the same thing times ago. I asked why the Nurbana download is not available anymore from the blender site. It seems it cannot be downloaded anymore from no site.

I have received no answer.
I think Nurbana source code should be available to everyone who wants to check its source.
Regards,
Renato Perini
-
You can't live with women, you can't live without women.
Fuzzy logic example.

mjordan

Post by mjordan »

Don't know why nobody answer here...
Regards,
Renato Perini
-
Fuzzy logic example.

Caronte

Post by Caronte »

The latest news I know are:
The nurbana author still very busy and don't have time to merge the code with blender.
Caronte.
"Some Day, All Will Be Digital"
http://www.nicodigital.com

Twingy

Nurbana Status

Post by Twingy »

Hi folks, I made a project on sourceforge called "Nurbana" to put place the Nurbana source code as LGPL code. Anyone who would like me to talk to them about integration into blender should contact me via email or IRC, I'm on #blendercoders alot as "Twingy". My hope is that somne familiar with the blender API can chat with me about the nurbana API and we can figure out how to best integrate these advanced nurbs tools into Blender, thanks.

- Justin

bfvietnam

Post by bfvietnam »

http://sourceforge.net/projects/nurbana/

Lord knows blender needs it.. Parametric curves in blender serve more for construction than for a working model. Also while you guys are at it, change the curve and surface primitives for blender so that a surface primitive looks more like a flat plane and less like a saddle. And the circle primitive to use CV weights of 1.0 instead of "sqrt(2)/4" (key is CV placement which can be obtained from cos/sin functions).

True NURBS use CV's on the curve, hull points are used for precise modelling of surfaces.. Blender's NURBS are called NURBS to make it easier to recognize what they are, not that they are.. I mean, is blender's curve really Non-Uniform? They are Rational B-Splines, but Non-Uniform? Calling them NURBS is like calling a tissue kleenax.

oyster

Post by oyster »

Thanx for this news :)
There is no files yet. And are this nurbana models made in YOUR nurbana? If not, where can I find a copy of screen snap of your nurbana?

bfvietnam

Yeah

Post by bfvietnam »

Evidently Twingy is the Author, I did a search on google.. He just
hasn't released the sources.. It was in 2003 that he had claimed to
have already donated the sources to blender..

theeth

Re: Yeah

Post by theeth »

bfvietnam wrote:Evidently Twingy is the Author, I did a search on google..
The one who did the 3D models on that page ( http://www.3drender.com/nurbana/ ) is Jeremy Birn (tech director at Pixar), not Justin here (unless he has a dual personnality ;) ).

Martin
Life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans.
- John Lennon

oyster

Post by oyster »

The source is not here yet

mjordan

Post by mjordan »

oyster wrote:The source is not here yet
Yeah. Still no sources.
Regards,
Renato Perini
-
Fuzzy logic example.

mjordan

Post by mjordan »

bfvietnam wrote:http://sourceforge.net/projects/nurbana/

Lord knows blender needs it.. Parametric curves in blender serve more for construction than for a working model. Also while you guys are at it, change the curve and surface primitives for blender so that a surface primitive looks more like a flat plane and less like a saddle. And the circle primitive to use CV weights of 1.0 instead of "sqrt(2)/4" (key is CV placement which can be obtained from cos/sin functions).

True NURBS use CV's on the curve, hull points are used for precise modelling of surfaces.. Blender's NURBS are called NURBS to make it easier to recognize what they are, not that they are.. I mean, is blender's curve really Non-Uniform? They are Rational B-Splines, but Non-Uniform? Calling them NURBS is like calling a tissue kleenax.
Yes, we all now NURBS tools in Blender are nothing more than a toy.
And, as far as I know, the NURBANA integration is one of the most wanted feature for Blender by users. Personally speaking, I can't wait to see it nicely integrated in the bf tree.
I have never seen Nurbana in action, but I think that having it into Blender allow Blender to be classified as a NURBS modeler, among other things, so we can start compare it with Rhino
LOL
Regards,
Renato Perini
-
Fuzzy logic example.

mjordan

Re: Nurbana Status

Post by mjordan »

Twingy wrote:Hi folks, I made a project on sourceforge called "Nurbana" to put place the Nurbana source code as LGPL code. Anyone who would like me to talk to them about integration into blender should contact me via email or IRC, I'm on #blendercoders alot as "Twingy". My hope is that somne familiar with the blender API can chat with me about the nurbana API and we can figure out how to best integrate these advanced nurbs tools into Blender, thanks.

- Justin
Maybe you're better to ask in the bf mailing list you can find better help than here.
I hope Nurbana will be integrated as soon as possible. It is a great present from you and finally it will give to Blender what many users are waiting for: a good NURBS support for Blender.

I have got two questions for you:
1) How many lines of code Nurbana is made of?
2) Why so much delay in publishing source code?

Thank you Justin!!!!
Regards,
Renato Perini
-
Fuzzy logic example.

mjordan

Post by mjordan »

:?: Btw, what does it mean "Industrial strength NURBS"? :?:
Thanks. I'm very ignorant about this jargon, sometimes. :x
Regards,
Renato Perini
-
Fuzzy logic example.