Skeleton Muscle

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Money_YaY!

Skeleton Muscle

Post by Money_YaY! »

paradox

Post by paradox »

Interesting but it is for 3d Studio and did you look at the price. Comercial license is $995.
Paradox

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

ya todays super charged animation rigging software tends to cost a lot... One could only hope that blender could starat working on it's animation features again

bfvietnam

XSI has a upgrade to essentials for 3DsMax6 users

Post by bfvietnam »

I was pretty impressed with sega's animanium.. I asked them
if they plan a port to blender and said they weren't.. I think it be extra incentive to be able to sell a complete package with blender bundled in
by default to allow people to get up and running quickly with a plugin like animanium, but I guess using taboo in the same context of a sale is taboo.

Get 3DsMax6 and have the option to purchase
XSI 4.2 Essentials for 700 dollars.. I'm not sure if the 3DsMax6 users
have to trade in their packages, but it looks like XSI is out for blood..

bmud

Post by bmud »

Mucles are already fairly doable with the current bone system.. But skinning isn't so hot. A really good first step would be if bones could be illustrated as real meshes -- as they are in 3dsmax -- and even renderable.

bfvietnam

I've suggested in the past how to handle the muscles..

Post by bfvietnam »

How about this.. using joint rotations to control RVK frames. You know about facial animation in blender using RVK.. Instead of controlling the RVK with a curve over time, the RVK is controled by a grey-scale image map with respect to the UV coordinates of the joint (0,0) <--->(1,1) . The joints U and V rotation could then be used to drive the surface deformation according to the grey-scale image map. You could also duplicate the image maps, paint them with the existing UV image mapping system.. Since the image maps are resolution independent, there is no particular limitation on the complexity of the control.. Another way to representation the control would be to use a NURBS surface instead. Imagine a heightfield made with a NURBS surface, used as a control, not used for rendering. An IPO is like a cross-section of this NURBS control surface, that's why you should use a NURBS and not an IPO, and IPO is only accurate for dimensions like influence over time.. The dimensions here are influence over U and V.

As an example.. Imagine a simple bicep:

Create a tubular surface to represent the arm, then create a arm with bones, uppper and lower..

Attach tube to bones. Assume some kind of basic influence of the
bones over the surface.

Apply IK to the bones, and make the elbow bend a certain amount.

Deform the surface, keyframe the deformation, associate this deformation with the current rotation of the elbow. This create a UV mapping for that particular deformation, driven by the rotation of the elbow.

You can then select other points of elbow rotation that produce that deformation, normally for a muscle the control will look like a 3D
bell curve, because a bicep only gets big when the elbow is an extreme crease

Considerations:
It could be that my image map or NURBS surface control is more complex than what is needed. But you get the idea.. Another consideration, for realism would be to add a certain amount of influence from soft body dynamics, to make the skin sag beneath the arm, the soft body influence could also be controlled by a UV image map (painting influence on the surface of the arm). For best effect, things would have to be computed in this order:

1. IK/FK
2. Surface Deformation from Bones
3. RVK's influence on surfaces from joint rotations..
4. Soft Body Dynamics..