Turntable view rotation

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

joeri
Posts: 96
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2003 6:41 pm
Contact:

Re: Turntable view rotation

Post by joeri »

bfvietnam wrote:stuff
Gamers or game developers tent to like turntable, nothing wrong with that.
I guess because they are used to such camera's in the games they play and develope. Sorry if this generalizes a bit to much.
Fact is blender is being used as a modeler for (low) poly model export; giving lots of game related feature requests.
In my view they have a low priority, but not a none priority.

bfvietnam
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:54 pm

Re: Turntable view rotation

Post by bfvietnam »

joeri wrote:
bfvietnam wrote:stuff
Gamers or game developers tent to like turntable, nothing wrong with that.
I guess because they are used to such camera's in the games they play and develope. Sorry if this generalizes a bit to much.
Yeah that would make sense, but its amazing that more games don't
use a blender navigation system.. It would allow for some creative game
play. I like blender's navigation though because you are forced to look
at your objects in different ways.

PS- There is this great free game from france, I think, called "Trackmania Sunrise" Demo.. Its probably the most creative racing game I've ever played. And makes me think, is it blender influenced? No?

makeshiftwings
Posts: 0
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2003 4:12 am

Re: Turntable view rotation

Post by makeshiftwings »

bfvietnam wrote:
joeri wrote:
bfvietnam wrote:stuff
Gamers or game developers tent to like turntable, nothing wrong with that.
I guess because they are used to such camera's in the games they play and develope. Sorry if this generalizes a bit to much.
Yeah that would make sense, but its amazing that more games don't
use a blender navigation system.. It would allow for some creative game
play. I like blender's navigation though because you are forced to look
at your objects in different ways.

PS- There is this great free game from france, I think, called "Trackmania Sunrise" Demo.. Its probably the most creative racing game I've ever played. And makes me think, is it blender influenced? No?
I think joeri's right that game developers especially prefer turntable. I'm a game developer, and mostly only need low-poly models, and I just can't deal with trackball mode. Some games have 6 degrees of freedom, namely flight simulators, spaceship shooters, and anything where you spend a good deal of time flying rather than walking. But pretty much any game that involves walking on the ground is going to have a stable Y axis.

I disagree that trackball is more "natural"... when scultping or building in real life, you are generally also tied to the ground, you rarely if ever stand on your head or do cartwheels trying to see your work at a different angle. You may rotate the object around on its Z-axis, but this is akin to rotating and object in a 3D app, not rotating your own view and keeping the object stable. I guess I've seen some people do such things, like painters who turn their heads to the side to see how their painting looks, but it's not the norm for everyday like. I think as humans we spend most of our times walking around with a stable Y axis; that's probably why some people feel sick when using trackball... people with motion sickness get it especially bad if they're being turned upside down or rotated on their Z axis.

But of course people like it, so it should be in there, but I've always felt there should be the option of either one. It's been a long time since Turntable broke, and too many people wrote it off saying "Everyone should just use trackball anyway". I think this option will be a good thing for blender and will help a lot of people who are used to other 3d apps pick up blender a little easier.

oin
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 6:34 pm

Post by oin »

I'm a game artist too, and also wait till that appear at least as an optional (disabled by default, I don't mind) thing in preferences... to use Blender also to model..... I modelled two years in terracota , in Fine Arts, and yep, you'r z axe is a solid metal pipe that wont roll if not crunching it with a heavy hammer....I did lots of portraits and all sort of realistic models. It'd have been crazy with a rotation system not keeping allways Z(y) up.

Post Reply