Blender & OpenGL ,DirectX

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

viet

Blender & OpenGL ,DirectX

Post by viet »

use OpenGL , you can do something like it :

http://www.humus.ca/index.php?page=3D&&start=8

So, What is difference between Blender and OpenGL ( or DirectX) on making these products. What is advantage of Blender ? Can you tell me.

mchs3d

Post by mchs3d »

Correct me if I misinterpreted you, but I'm not quite sure if you understand what OpenGL actually is. OpenGL is an API (application programming interface) that is used to display 'graphics' on the screen. It is basically a direct interface to the hardware. Blender, however, uses OpenGL to display the graphics. DirectX is like OpenGL, except it's more complicated and Windows Only (like most Microsoft things). To learn more on OpenGL go to the homepage. 8)

z3r0_d

Re: Blender & OpenGL ,DirectX

Post by z3r0_d »

viet wrote:What is advantage of Blender ? Can you tell me.
Blender is a tool to make stuff, OpenGL and Direct3d are just ways to draw things

Blender uses OpenGL, but it will not be doing anything like what you linked to until the developers feel it is a good idea to require a new graphics card [radeon 9500 or geforce 3 or better] and version of OpenGL [new drivers].

homebody

Post by homebody »

Maybe someday we can have an OpenGL renderer... Which is really good for animations. Imagine the render time. Wow. 8)
z3r0_d wrote: Blender uses OpenGL, but it will not be doing anything like what you linked to until the developers feel it is a good idea to require a new graphics card [radeon 9500 or geforce 3 or better] and version of OpenGL [new drivers].

bfvietnam

Post by bfvietnam »

viet wrote:use OpenGL , you can do something like it :

http://www.humus.ca/index.php?page=3D&&start=8

So, What is difference between Blender and OpenGL ( or DirectX) on making these products. What is advantage of Blender ? Can you tell me.
OpenGL and DirectX are for realtime rendering, they are languages (more accurately libraries) that allow a programmer to draw realtime graphics without having to know a lot about 3D graphics rendering or rendering hardware.. Blender uses OpenGL to model objects in realtime.. Before OpenGL you would have been forced to model with wireframes, and the only time you could see an object is when you rendered (F12). OpenGL allows for the realtime lit, shaded, textured modes.. First game to use OpenGL was Quake (to give you some idea how old it is).

OpenGL2 has support for pixel shaders..

Blender doesn't use OpenGL2 yet..

Another desired feature is rendering with OpenGL by saving render
buffers to disk. This would be great for creating flipbooks of animation..

Note, Softimage already has this feature.. As well as to render with DirectX and some material shaders are hybrid realtime and renderime shaders (which is probably the reason why Halflife2 looks so realistic).