Blender via Autopackage on Linux

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ZephyrXero

Blender via Autopackage on Linux

Post by ZephyrXero » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:08 am

Is there any chance future versions of Blender may be released using Autopackage? Autopackage is a tool that lets developers create an installable package that will work with virtually any Linux distro you can think of, instead of having to create a million and one versions (rpm,deb,ebuilds,etc). It is not intended to replace current package managers, but to work in tandem with them; so you would use your regular package manager for your base system and then Autopackage for higher level programs like Blender, Gaim, etc... I highly urge you guys to give Autopackage.org a look, I think this may be one of the most important things to happen in a very long time for the Linux community and should make your jobs much easier at release time.

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:07 pm

I tried it with the latest Inkscape release and it is effectively a really nice installer :) It works well and did the job flawlessly. I cannot say the same with .rpms....

Kenden

Post by Kenden » Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:31 pm

should make your jobs much easier at release time.
Blender only uses .tar.gz for linux-like platforms, so that could only complicate things!;)

Anyway, Autopackage does look nice indeed, but it might be better to wait and see if it is accepted in the linux world.
See this, for example:
http://www.licquia.org/archives/2005/03 ... d-harmful/

-efbie-

Post by -efbie- » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:55 pm

I've read those articles and now i'm asking myself a question : why does the linux developpers always think that their solutions are perfect ? On the mandrake and ubuntu mailing list, they didn't even considered providing a deb or rpm package in their repository for autopackage. : the reason invoked is that synaptic or urpmi already works perfectly...

On what planet are they living ? if their system was so perfect i could install the latest gaim version from apt. apt is cool but it represents maybe 10% of the total number of existing aps, what solution do they have for the remaining 90% ?
Do they even know that there is commercial software that would be glad to be able to use autopackage ?

Maybe providing a blender.package would put some pressure on the distro maintainers as gaim, inkscape and other big apps already provide one.

Maybe if there is more apps using this system, they will *think* a little.

I personally tried this system and it is really easy ! even more than a .tar.gz file.

ox

Post by ox » Mon Apr 04, 2005 7:08 pm

You may be interested in this thread.

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40084

ZephyrXero

Post by ZephyrXero » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:03 pm

ox wrote:You may be interested in this thread.

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40084
I don't see how anything on that thread is related to Autopackage...lol. If we've already got Linux installed then we have no need for a live CD...lol
Autopackage - The best thing to happen to Linux since the Kernel.