State of the sequence editor...

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

theraz

State of the sequence editor...

Post by theraz »

What is it? This is what I am most looking forward to, being a video editor deprived Linux user, as I am. However, it is great to have Blender back, and hopefully I can get to work on some interesting compositing projects once the SE gets a bit further along.
Question 2: The forums from blender.nl, are we going to get them back, or are they already? This would be a great resource. Pardon my idocy if they already have returned. I haven't been in touch with Blender much since April.
Question 3: There was an old video done with Blender, I can't remember who did it, where someone was eating cereal, and the box just levitated, and soared off. Then he got up with a "Not Again!" look on his face, and went after it. Does anyone have a copy of this?
Two years ago, who'd of thought we'd be getting Blender as an OpenSource tool! How things have changed. Then again, three years ago, I would have never thought Blender would become a game engine either!
Ah, anyone else nostalgic about the good ol' days of Blender? With the gray site, Bowtie forums, when Juicy Blender tutorials were the hottest thing around, and when dinosaurs roamed the Earth? Three years ago tomorrow I first found Blender! Back before 1.7x was released. I remember when I first got my 1.5 manual, and I was looking forward to the release of Tutorial Guide 2. When I almost bought a C-Key about five days before 1.8 was announced as completely free! And those wicked Blender shirts? I still like the old Blender logo better.
Sniff, sniff.
Memories.

The Raz
--------------
Spence: You ever kill anyone?
Sam: I hurt someones feelings once.
-Ronin

thorax

Re: State of the sequence editor...

Post by thorax »

theraz wrote:What is it? This is what I am most looking forward to, being a video editor deprived Linux user, as I am. However, it is great to have Blender back, and hopefully I can get to work on some interesting compositing projects once the SE gets a bit further along.
Image compositor.. Its like a short form version of adobe premiere,
but more crash prone. What it can do that Premiere (probably) can't
is it can reference a blender scene as a film-strip, before the scene
is rendered. Something I'd like to do with it, once things are
working again, is write more sequencer plugins, like the ones that
use Z-buffer to produce faked depth of field. I have other ideas like taking surface data and using it to determine 2D vector fields, use the vector fields to create painterly compositor plugins.

theraz wrote: Two years ago, who'd of thought we'd be getting Blender as an OpenSource tool! How things have changed. Then again, three years ago, I

I was a little doubtful, but I know it was the last thing Ton would do,
and its the investors didn't decide to sit on the technology. It would
have been a terrible waste of good code.

theraz

Linux...

Post by theraz »

Sorry my friend. I use Linux. Windoze and Mac software just won't fly.

The Raz
-------------
Spence- You ever kill anyone?
Sam: I hurt someone's feelings once.
-Ronin

xype

Re: Linux...

Post by xype »

theraz wrote:Sorry my friend. I use Linux. Windoze and Mac software just won't fly.

It will fly circles around your Linux software, but you'll have to pay for it. Linux is a free toy that's good at serving web pages. Oh, wait, that's Apache.

theraz

Haha.

Post by theraz »

Quite funny. Almost. I admit, Linux doesn't have the best multimedia tools yet, but if I need video editing stuff now, I will definitely go to Mac. I have no respect for the Windows world.
Crash free for: 1478 days, and counting.
Windows free for: 1479 days, and counting.
Last time I paid for software: August, 1999.
Correlation?
Perhaps.

No time for Holy Wars, though; got to be Blendin'.

Anyone seen Equilibrium yet. I did. It was fantastic. Farenheit 451 meets the Matrix, with a lot more than you can imagine packed into it! It, and Signs, are my favorite movies of 2002. Looking forward to Nemesis and The Two Towers!

The Raz
--------------
Spence: You ever kill anyone?
Sam: I hurt someones feelings once.
-Ronin

xype

Re: Haha.

Post by xype »

theraz wrote:No time for Holy Wars, though; got to be Blendin'.

My point - if the tools of linux work for you it's great, if they don't you usually have to pay for quality. Blender has great potential to become a really nice universal tool with the sequence editor, and 3D tools.

nay

Post by nay »

check out

http://heroinewarrior.com/cinelerra.php3

for linux video editing

enjoy! :D

theraz

I do NOT enjoy Cinelerra!

Post by theraz »

Cinelerra is an irresponsibly written piece of software. The authors falls back on ancient code from his old projects (dating back to 1996) to form the core of the project, and then leaves mile wide problems in his "1.0" release, which should be 0.5 beta in my mind, given the bugs that plague it. Without spending hours compiling, non RedHat users are treated to issues with "quicktime_codec.so ... not found". Funny, in that quicktime is provided within the Cinelerra package. It is poorly written, poorly packaged, and poorly supported software. I'll pass.

The Raz
-------------
Spence- You ever kill anyone?
Sam- I hurt someone's feelings once.
-Ronin

kid_tripod

Post by kid_tripod »

Once you get into the Sequence editor its great, but there was a distinct lack of documentation for ages. I still mean to get into writing plugins, since that glow one is fantastic (if slow).

I wouldn't expect it to become a full on video editor though, its just not going to be fast enough. The machines (both windows btw . . . :P ) that I edit on both are bursting with custom hardware to do it. Theres an awful lot of difference between almost real time and actual real time. After experiencing these machines the very notion of having to render your sequence out seems absolutely ridiculous. These days the SeqEdit is used for applying the glow, and pretty much nowt else, I've never had much luck with the DoF stuff, but mean to get back to it some day.

Saluk

Post by Saluk »

Sorry, off-topic:)

Equillibrium rocked! It's too bad hardly anyone could see it though, because its only in a very limited number of theaters. Oh, and the critics HATED it for some reason.