And the winner is... Blender!

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

3dge

And the winner is... Blender!

Post by 3dge » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:15 pm

Hello guys, since I'm new, let me introduce myself first.

My name is Sebastian Pelan, and I'm the director of 3DGE Studio Ltd., a new Slovenian based 3d animation, CG & vfx studio.

In the last 3 months we were thinking about which 3D package we should use for our work. Maya and Lightwave were the two most favourited choices, however, we just decided we'll use Blender for all our 3D work. While this may sound a decision based on the budget, it's not like that. We had money to spend, however we found many drawbacks in both Maya and Lightwave, while, knowing blender from it's very beginning, we know we'll be able to get everything we need done, quickly.

That's it, I just wanted to let the Blender community know even "pros" use Blender, and for those that don't know it - hey, folks... Blender rocks!

See you soon on the forums, I'm gonna need your help, I guess ;)

Cheers,

Seb

gabio

Post by gabio » Tue Apr 26, 2005 11:48 pm

Good news. It's a brave move you did. As The supporting studios are very few. You'll always be welcome in the community. Make sure to visite Elysiun.com for any question or some chat/feedback.

Gabriel Beloin

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! » Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:50 am

cool, thats nice and all, but what happens when you hit bottle necks ? Do you have a few coders to assist to build tools? And if so will you open source the code for all to build from ?

Just wondering ho w companies that deside on using blender think about blender after awhile

3dge

Post by 3dge » Wed Apr 27, 2005 2:03 pm

Thanks guys!

Well, I've been thinking about bottlenecks, and I'm lucky enough to have a few friends that will be helping me with coding - probably I'll need some more, and I'm sure I'll find them somewhere. Every single snippet of code we'll create/change/fix will be available to anyone, we will release it under GPL.
I know being so open-minded about open-source (hehe) could lead to a commercial suicide, but I don't care. I love open source and will support it. To the grave.

P.S.: I just can't wait to see how Blender will run on my workstations :)

Seb

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Wed Apr 27, 2005 4:19 pm

Hi, depending on the scale of the work you do, you will probably come up against some problems wuith Blender.

I have been using blender every day for around 2 years now and have some observations. that may help you.

* There are some parts of blender that are not well supported, some areas that Im guessing are not used often, and are buggy.
Not many, but if your working on big projects youll find some. - The good thing is that useually the bugs arnt hard to fix and useually a bug report will notify the right person patch the CVS within a few days to a week.

* Blenders workflow isnt ideal for all situations, Im talking about large datasets, which blender is not that good at dealing with.
That said its very nice still. And I wouldent want to use any other software :)

* For large projects use relative paths //textures means the 'textures' dir that the blend file is in. This makes working on files in different PC's work.

This is an odd dotpoint But it is somthing I find uisefull
* If there is a way to automate somthing thats taking you time in Blender, DO IT. Its tempting to do things the slow easy way, but python makes it very fast to automate blender, and its good to use it. Then you can add it to a menu and use it.

The good thing is that often things are easy to fix/add in C, and python is amazingly fast to develop in.

As well as most data in Blender, Python allows you direct accsess to drawing in the 3D view, so you can draw your own stuff, (Object script links) .. or Over the 3d view (Scene Script links) -This means you can make some very intergrated tools in Blender if you like.

Here are examples of my work with MetaVR, check it out.
http://www.metavr.com/casestudies/baghdadviews.html
http://www.metavr.com/casestudies/ftlewis-stryker.html

My website with free tools, some I use for my work.

- Cam

Sam-Blam

Post by Sam-Blam » Sun May 01, 2005 2:47 am

3dge wrote:Thanks guys!

Well, I've been thinking about bottlenecks, and I'm lucky enough to have a few friends that will be helping me with coding - probably I'll need some more, and I'm sure I'll find them somewhere. Every single snippet of code we'll create/change/fix will be available to anyone, we will release it under GPL.
I know being so open-minded about open-source (hehe) could lead to a commercial suicide, but I don't care. I love open source and will support it. To the grave.

P.S.: I just can't wait to see how Blender will run on my workstations :)

Seb
I imagin 3dge that there would be hangups with any program I haven't tryed anything huge yet, but it seams to me that any program would present some qurkes, Nice thing with blender is you can fix em yourself with lots of support, lots of cg companies have there own custom veriants of differant software, also if your work is good why would it be commercial suiside? Your not marketing your software your marketing your creative talent :)

2.5 cents
Blender = Cool

konrad_ha

Post by konrad_ha » Tue May 17, 2005 1:15 am

Welcome to the extremely small group of users who actually put blender to professional use. I can't wait for it to grow, it's such a fine tool after all.

Pierre-Luc_Auclair

Post by Pierre-Luc_Auclair » Tue May 17, 2005 8:01 am

konrad_ha wrote:Welcome to the extremely small group of users who actually put blender to professional use. I can't wait for it to grow, it's such a fine tool after all.
I do it and I'm proud of it. I don't know if I'll be allowed to work with it if I am hired at Ubisoft this week (interview thursday), but I'll try to get some fellow programmers from work to get interested into it so it could be used in a prod. environment completely.

It just saddens me that I can't help to add new features, it's too complicated. I get lost in my PHP code sometimes (only been at it for about a month now) but I'm learning really fast one my web programmer said. :) Maybe once I get to know how it all works I'll try to put my nose in the project.