New convert

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Sam-Blam

New convert

Post by Sam-Blam » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:50 am

I recantly converted to blender :) I tryed it some time ago but was discouraged with its apperant lack of functionality, not sure if I wasnt looking hard enough or maby the unusual interface was throwing me off, was about a year or ago... maby more don't remeber, I don't think it had sub-d then. Anyway I must say that lacking a few things blender is one kick @#$ program, And Im a big fan of open source, if linux could play windows games reliably (keeping eyes on wine project) then I wouldn't even be using win98. I love blender, only a few things it lacks and it looks like release 2.37 will add them :) looking forward to softbodies, blenders modeling system is even better then lightwave 7 and max 3 (haven't tryed the later versions of those) Anyway I could't resist making this post I LOVE BLENDER!
Blender = Cool

Friday13

Post by Friday13 » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:28 am

Welcome to the cult. If you have any problems using it, try going to the User forums or consulting the user manual or the reference manual.
Don't miss the sequel: "I still see dead people"

mchs3d

Post by mchs3d » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:58 am

You made it past the "Too Many BUTTONS!" stage! Congratulations! One thing that I found was obnoxious as a beginner was the fact that when you create objects they are created relative to the view. I think it would add great functionality if you could choose to create objects with the up vector always pointing up the global Z. That would also help beginners.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Sat Apr 30, 2005 9:22 am

mchs3d wrote:You made it past the "Too Many BUTTONS!" stage! Congratulations! One thing that I found was obnoxious as a beginner was the fact that when you create objects they are created relative to the view. I think it would add great functionality if you could choose to create objects with the up vector always pointing up the global Z. That would also help beginners.
Don't think it hasn't been debated before. Seems we just have to accept switching views every time we create a new object :roll: It's the Blender way :wink:
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

fobsta

Post by fobsta » Sat Apr 30, 2005 12:46 pm

Although it would be lovely if we had the option to create new objects at the origin.

:)

yeonil

Post by yeonil » Sun May 01, 2005 1:54 am

If I could add something, I would definitely agree on making it switchable. But I personally am happy with the current version.

Yeonil

Sam-Blam

New objects are not a big problem for me

Post by Sam-Blam » Sun May 01, 2005 2:35 am

mchs3d wrote:You made it past the "Too Many BUTTONS!" stage! Congratulations! One thing that I found was obnoxious as a beginner was the fact that when you create objects they are created relative to the view. I think it would add great functionality if you could choose to create objects with the up vector always pointing up the global Z. That would also help beginners.
I work more in sub-ds so don't need to add lots of objects all the time I just snap 3d curser to location and add object, Although I would like to be able to make an object by adding a vertex, you know for drawing a face or what not, right now I have to add a mesh plane then delet it then add vetice, would be nice to be able to add an emty mesh. I like the knife tool, way better then lightwave7's knife, also like the loop selection tools, big time savers.
Blender = Cool