Google summer of code. make $4500!

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

SamAdam

Google summer of code. make $4500!

Post by SamAdam » Wed Jun 01, 2005 2:41 am

Okay, look at this: http://code.google.com/summerofcode.pdf

check it out. some people may be able to fit blender into that and make some money.

ton should look at http://code.google.com/mentfaq.html

from google:
The program is designed to give computer science, and other, students a stipend ($4500) while they learn to release and create open source software. We're working with a variety of Open Source software foundations and organizations and we hope to sign up around 200 developers.

Sprite

Post by Sprite » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:31 am

As a computer science student, I've been interested in Blender's development and lurked around the "how to contribute" pages. This sounds like the perfect incentive to get into gear and help with Blender's code (and eventually Blender/open-source graphics evangelism in Berkeley's CS department).

Would the Blender Foundation consider sponsoring student(s)? I'd think it would help benefit the development process. :)

Thank you!

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:32 am

See Tons mailing list post,

Blender Foundation has signed up to be a sponsor,
[Bf-committers] Google sponsoring; Summer of Code!

Hi all,

Here's a chance to get a summer job for Blender coding;

http://code.google.com/summerofcode.html

I've just applied for the BF to become official 'Mentoring
Organization'. But I don't think it's a requirement... interested
developers can just apply.

For the sake of this project, I've uploaded a quick todo list to our
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Project_Op ... 589.0.html

-Ton-
LetterRip

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! » Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:29 am

Sweet! I should learn code now :P HHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA HA

Good luck all. MAke sure you debug it well :D

Koba

Post by Koba » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:02 pm

I've applied!

I've decided to try and get RenderMan support implemented internally once and for all (so many failed attempts!). I've got four months to dedicate to this and if I am lucky a financial incentive too.

I think RenderMan would be great for Blender artists who want more powerful shaders as well as for increasing the number of people using open source renderers such as Aqsis and Pixie. I really believe this would benefit open source CG as a whole a lot more than just coding new modelling tools (for example).

I would be so happy if I were successful - to learn to code properly, to help improve Blender AND to earn some money! Perhaps it is a little too ideal to be true.

SamAdam:

It is a real pity about Toxic / ToxicX and I hope this doesn't go the same way. This will be the second time I've tried extending Blender's external rendering capabilities. :?

And thanks for the link!

Koba

Zn4k

Post by Zn4k » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:09 pm

Google's initiative sure sparked my interest. I've been wanting to contribute some of my time to Blender for some time now, but I really haven't had the motivation. That money could sure cover some of my tuition as a CS student. Since I've never done much more than compile Blender, I'm not sure if there is a project I could tackle in 2 months on that list above.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:20 pm

Make an alternative proposal to Ton/Chris, probably other useful projects will be accepted.

LetterRip

qwe

Post by qwe » Thu Jun 02, 2005 8:24 pm

I, too, have applied. I want to do video input via ffmpeg, both for the sequencer and elsewhere. I could do other stuff too, of course.

I hope this works out-- I could use the $4500 :)

SamAdam

Post by SamAdam » Thu Jun 02, 2005 9:02 pm

it is good to know that google isn't corrupt...yet.

it must be nice to be able to toss around $900,000!

good luck all, i don't think i can fit anything I can do into that, maybe documentation?

i see that blender is listed on the google website, so you are good to go.

Koba

Post by Koba » Sat Jun 25, 2005 6:23 pm

Hi all,

Just got the reply from google - and I didn't get the job. Well never mind!

What would be nice to know is who the successful applicants are (with regards Blender) so we can give them help and support. I am also curious as to what aspects of Blender they want to improve so we can have an idea what to expect in future releases.

I hope we have lots of people committed to work on Blender this summer!

Koba

P.S> I think it would be wonderful if someone got round to giving Blender a proper RenderMan export once and for all!

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Sat Jun 25, 2005 7:27 pm

Koba wrote:What would be nice to know is who the successful applicants are (with regards Blender) so we can give them help and support. I am also curious as to what aspects of Blender they want to improve so we can have an idea what to expect in future releases.
http://projects.blender.org/pipermail/b ... 11229.html
I've asked Greg Stein from Google if I could
list the winning proposals either here or on
the Blender website, but he said he is waiting
to get release permissions from the
applicants (he expects to have that all
in order sometime next week).
But that doesn't stop the persons behind the winning proposals to step up and tell us all about, right? ;)
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

n_t

Post by n_t » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:46 pm

Hello, I'm doing a Summer of Code Project for Blender - mine is fluid animation. I started a website here: http://www.ntoken.com/p_soc.html , but so far theres only the proposal... I think it would be great to get some feedback about preview versions or ideas here in the forum, so I hope I have something to show soon...

As far as I'm informed the other projects are:
Inverse Kinematics
Verse Integration
FFMPEG integration/audio multiplexing
PyTexture
Sketch Modelling
Boolean development
ODE Physics integration in animation system
Nurbs/Curves/Nurbana
Animated Tutorial creation/playback
I hope I'm telling no secrets there :)

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Tue Jun 28, 2005 2:53 pm

n_t wrote:Hello, I'm doing a Summer of Code Project for Blender - mine is fluid animation. I started a website here: http://www.ntoken.com/p_soc.html , but so far theres only the proposal... I think it would be great to get some feedback about preview versions or ideas here in the forum, so I hope I have something to show soon...

As far as I'm informed the other projects are:
Inverse Kinematics
Verse Integration
FFMPEG integration/audio multiplexing
PyTexture
Sketch Modelling
Boolean development
ODE Physics integration in animation system
Nurbs/Curves/Nurbana
Animated Tutorial creation/playback
I hope I'm telling no secrets there :)
Wowsers! I can honestly say that I'm r-e-a-l-l-y looking forward to Blender development this summer. And this is excluding Ton's animation refactor, Broken's UI stuff and whatever else is coming our way. Blender's gonna make a bang for sure. :D
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

kakapo

Post by kakapo » Tue Jun 28, 2005 7:03 pm

wow! your fluid solver avis look awesome! i have never seen anything like that...

what is pytexture? and sketch modeling?

JoOngle

Post by JoOngle » Tue Jun 28, 2005 11:49 pm

:shock:

Anyone seen my jaw? I can't locate my jaw....
Dangnabbit ....now I've gotta visit the dentist again.

I am at loss for words, If you thought that was realistic...you should see the happy tears
that flow from my eyes when I saw the image-examples you've given us on your homepage.

FANTASTIC WORK!
Good luck with the summer-of-code project!