3D Scanning

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

monkeysailor

3D Scanning

Post by monkeysailor »

Hi, just wanted to say great job guys :D

I'm working on Project splinescan at http://www.splinescan.co.uk, and I find blender very useful to visualise my models. I've found the blender communtiy to be very open and helpful in the past, and I hope to contribute something back very soon.

I'l be exhibiting at Lugradio Live 2005 on the 25th of this month - if you guys are in wolverhampton on the day, feel free to come and say hi - I'm always happy to chat about 3D work or just animation/linux in general.

Once again, Great job!
Monkeysailor :D

macouno

Post by macouno »

Great... there's been multiple threads on here by people asking about 3d scanning. Most solutions now are much too expensive for most blender users. I hope your project will turn into something most people will be able to use/put together.

The downside I see in your method though is the turntable approach... it will severely limit the model size. Have you seen: http://www.imodeller.com/en/

Their solution of using a "floor map" for angle reference is rather clever and makes the "size" basicly irrelevant. Completely different from your approach though. I wonder if a combination would be possible though.

osxrules

Post by osxrules »

I did my honours project using 3D laser surface scans. It was one of the expensive scanners in a hospital. It sampled about 65000 data points of the face. I didn't get to see it though, my supervsor had the models premade. My supervisor had also written software to raytrace the model which raytraced after every transform so it wasn't very practical.

I was supposed to do some coding that moved the surface based on changes to the underlying skeleton to simulate facial surgery. I couldn't work with the raytraced thing so I decided I would port it all to OpenGL first so it would be interactive in real-time. In the end I got as far as loading the laser scans and the 3D CT scans and letting the user segment the skeleton but I ran out of time.

bmud

Post by bmud »

A: I'd love to see how one of your test models looks with blender's decimator run on it.

B: I agree with the floor reference. That's how "Augmented reality" works. All you need is a high contrast reference, for example, a bunch of white space, a black square, and a white square in one corner of the black square. Or some other sort of solid reference that's easy to reproduce.

http://www.se.rit.edu/~jrv/research/ar/thesis.html

Note: A black square is very easy to print out with a regular printer. A laser is not so easy to reproduce, and a turntable is not easy to reproduce.
Last edited by bmud on Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

birras

Post by birras »