Another Question for Ton

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Doogs

Another Question for Ton

Post by Doogs » Sat Dec 21, 2002 3:22 pm

Ton,

I heard a rumor about a foundation release of blender 2.25c or 2.26 or whatnot for around christmas time. is this a falsity? if so, do you estimate a time for it?

thanks

doogs

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton » Sat Dec 21, 2002 4:33 pm

Hi,

I've challenged the current committers to come up with something before christmas! But I'm afraid the complexity of Blender - especially cross platform makefiles - is still something we fight with.

There's a lot more enthusiasm to code in Blender itself, and that's quite logical. But I hoped that we could turn the NaN make system into something more easy for (new) developers first.

In parallel, people have been working to get sourceforge (project space) software running at blender.org. That proved not to work... so now attempts are being made to use Gforge instead (gforge.org). This fortunately goes a lot better! A basic setup now runs here, but hard to predict any deadline though. Also for this I've put a Xmas deadine. :)

Gforge will improve the communication about - and insight in - what's going on a lot better. We still have 4 days!

-Ton-

belac

cool

Post by belac » Sat Dec 21, 2002 5:26 pm

that's great to hear! as an artist i don't get to see a lot of the progress that the programers are making, its good to have little updates.

you guys are doing an awesome job, and blender would be dead without you! keep up the good work, and thanx for sticking with this thing ton! you've always been there for this community!

olivierb

savannah

Post by olivierb » Sun Dec 22, 2002 2:03 am

hi

You should also look at http://savannah.gnu.org/ :)
It's another web site to centralize the developpement and distribution of free software.
It's a free project and IMHO it would be a great site to host the Blender developpement project.
You can download it here: http://savannah.gnu.org/projects/savannah/
(no tarball, only available by CVS)

Olivier, happy that you cares about new developpers :)
Last edited by olivierb on Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrMunkily

Post by MrMunkily » Sun Dec 22, 2002 5:50 am

am I right in thinking that this project will be the first besides gforge itself to be managed by gforge?

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton » Tue Dec 24, 2002 11:56 am

Hi,

We've looked at the savannah version of sourceforge as well, but it is based at quite an old version (2.0)... so it lacks some features such as discussion forums.

Gforge promised to be a lot easier to install and maintain, with all features of sourceforge 3.0, and a new (better) design as well.

We're almost there, but as usual the final details take the most time... and we're working with volunteers, who (unfortunately ;-) have a private life too...!

-Ton-