I want Blender but....

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

pip

I want Blender but....

Post by pip »

About a year ago I downloaded Blender, played around with it, got use to it, like it- very much. The thing was, I noticed alot of pop-up and such, well after investigation, i had many different types of adware and other nasty things. I didnt think it was blender....

After a while, my computer got sicker and sicker(i knew little of computers and adware) until it broke, i got a new computer....(instead of reformatting, the pc was horrible anyway...)

On my new computer, i was afraid to download anything i had befor, cause I didnt know what caused the adware... so one by one, i installed my programs, all but one Blender...

eventually I decided to download Blender, and what do I get, those same bad cases of adware... After curse words and tears, and a System Restore, my computer was fine again, adware and blender free.

So heres my question, I want blender, i love blender, but will I have to suffer from adware, or is Blender no longer adware supported?

Thanks,
pip

bobthevirus

Post by bobthevirus »

Blender has never been adware supported. Where did you download that version from which created that problem?

http://blender.org/cms/Blender.31.0.html

is the place to download blender from, and it definately doesn't have adware!

pip

Post by pip »

I downloaded it from the very site you gave me, and it happened twice, dunno, now i have McAfee, so I'll give it a try I guess...

Thanks for the reply,
pip

Toon_Scheur

Post by Toon_Scheur »

One word: Linux

If you're still confortable with windows, then you should use firefox instead of internet explorer (www.mozilla.org)

Some games may be full of spyware, adware... i.e. games you download from the net and such

McAfee was always crap and it will always be crap. Use av free or avast instead.

Stop clicking "OK" or "Cancel" on whatever pop up that appears. If the mouse pointer changes into a hand, then it is a trick, always close the window by clicking on [x]

turn on your firewall

Download ultimate boot cd (http://www.ubcd4win.com/) . READ THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULY

With this you start up your computer in a safe windows enviroment. There are lots of tools on this CD and it WILL erase all the crap you acculumated on your computer.

So you don't have to throw your Xeon 3 Ghz after a couple of months away (better still, I want it)

BLENDER IS NOT ADWARE NOR SPYWARE.

Beware of programs like morpheus, kazaa and even divx (yes, the official one). Those are all spyware.

I can go on for hours, but these or just some quick tips. Hope it helped.

pip

Post by pip »

Thanks for the reply, though some of it I know(like the tricks adware plays, and to always have my firewall on...) I do appriciate it.

I have had Blender for a few hours and all seems to be going well...

I feel I must disagree with you on one thing though... McAfee has always been good for me... kept me safe.... I have cable internet so it is always on, and since I got McAfee I have had no trouble at all...

I wish there were a way for me to make the tranzition to Linux(too poor)... I hear only good things...

-

About the ubcd thing, not sure what it is, but from what you describe it sounds like it does what I have been doing by hand using msconfig and searching up on all my processes to make sure they are good, and also running AdAware..... However, If I ever do have trouble with nasty programs at boot, I'll down load it for sure(p.s. thanks, there was a time when I would have killed for this....I'll probably need it again some day...)

not sure what you mean by the "Xeon 3 Ghz " thing :)

Thanks again for your reply and tips,
pip

halibut

Post by halibut »

Too poor? It's free
I'm not sure what you mean, perhaps you don't have the time to "learn" it?

Just try it, it's probably more similar to windows than you think, and if you don't know all of the ins and outs of windows anyway (this is a guess from the fact you had bad spyware problems), you probably won't notice much difference heh.

Blendorphin

Post by Blendorphin »

pip wrote: I wish there were a way for me to make the tranzition to Linux(too poor)... I hear only good things...
You would have to be quite poor then, because Linux is free :)

The best thing to do would be to download and burn the Knoppix LiveCD. That way you can boot into linux off of the CD, and try out all of the great Open Source applications included on the CD. Everything is decompressed on the fly, so you get a complete system full of apps to try out on one CD. You can even browse the internet and download programs for Linux and try them out. Go to http://www.knoppix.org/ for more info. Have fun :)

teachtech

Post by teachtech »

I've been downloading Blender for years both at home and at school for the 21 machines in my lab. All running Windows. I've never had a problem relating to Blender.

halibut

Post by halibut »

I have to recommend Mepis (www.mepis.org).
You can download the live CD and boot to it (like knoppix). And there is an icon on the desktop "install me", you just click it and no more cds to download, it installs itself from the live cd whilst you are booted in to it :D

pip

Post by pip »

Hmm, Linux is free eh? well... I will consider it if I have trouble with windows... but, unfortunatly I have spent the last year getting windows down, I dont want all that trouble to be for nothing....

...I dont know what to say I feel like an arse....

So far so good, still no adware... been checking msconfig and my processes, did a virus scan, and all the funky stuff, all is well...

I thank you guys for the info on Linux, and will surly make the switch next time I reformat...

thanks for the replies, even though i sounded like an idiot,
pip

zupermonkey

Post by zupermonkey »

pip wrote:nd will surly make the switch next time I reformat...
You don't have to reformat, you can just try some distributions by burning one to a cd and booting from it.
I'd recommend the Ubuntu Live CD (free! see this page for more information), it will NOT erase, format or even touch your harddisk (it runs inside your system memory only).

Also, have you tried Firefox already? (it's also FREE and NO adware either!) It will make your web browsing experience a bit safer and more enjoyable than if you were using Internet Explorer with all of its adware and spyware mess.

pip

Post by pip »

You don't have to reformat, you can just try some distributions by burning one to a cd and booting from it.
I'd recommend the Ubuntu Live CD (free! see this page for more information), it will NOT erase, format or even touch your harddisk (it runs inside your system memory only).
I know this, i just only reformat when theres a problem and as i said i will get Linux whne there is a problem(a problem worthy of reformatting, but it wont take much at this point, I myself have come to hate windows...), so the two just kinda come together...

windows problem = reformat
windows problem = get Linux
reformat = get Linux

i think that makes it clearer...

I'll check out FireFox...thanks for link...I heard of it befor and forgot name...