Please don't get rid of edge and face loop select preview

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

joeri

Post by joeri » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:09 pm

It is a "we'll take it into consideration". My experience is that that's almost the same as a no. I mean, it's probably not going to change plans people already made, and it has little weight in plans made.

joeri

Post by joeri » Mon Nov 14, 2005 12:10 pm

Bellorum wrote:
joeri wrote:Think about it, why else is there no user section on blender3d.org?
Because there was already a very active user community at elysiun.com, when blender.org was introduced? :roll:
That's not the reason Ton gave at the blender conference.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:01 pm

joeri wrote:
Bellorum wrote:
joeri wrote:Think about it, why else is there no user section on blender3d.org?
Because there was already a very active user community at elysiun.com, when blender.org was introduced? :roll:
That's not the reason Ton gave at the blender conference.
So you mean to say that there wouldn't be a user community on blender.org, even if Elysiun never existed?
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

joeri

Post by joeri » Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:44 pm

Bellorum wrote:So you mean to say that there wouldn't be a user community on blender.org, even if Elysiun never existed?
Who knows that?

There is nothing to gain in this discussion, you'll only get bored after a while and then try to close the discussion by placing personal insults. thank you. Lost interest in this post.

Bellorum

Post by Bellorum » Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:36 pm

joeri wrote:
Bellorum wrote:So you mean to say that there wouldn't be a user community on blender.org, even if Elysiun never existed?
Who knows that?

There is nothing to gain in this discussion, you'll only get bored after a while and then try to close the discussion by placing personal insults. thank you. Lost interest in this post.
Thanks for giving me the benefit of a doubt :roll: I just found your assertion a little odd, and was curious, but whatever - moving on..
There's no such thing as democracy. There's only the tyranny of one, and the tyranny of many.

matos

Post by matos » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:40 pm

first of all, i dont see the all comunity opinion here...
second, for a new comer i believe that alt-right click is better
third, stick together team :wink:

(i hope to get some... roger that)

rcas

Post by rcas » Thu Dec 15, 2005 1:10 pm

Bellorum wrote:
Howitzer wrote:We don't like alt-clicking
I do, actually.
Me too, I like it better, it is more intuitive and I don't have to move away from my commonly used CTRL , SHIFT and ALT keys.

Don't take ALT + CLICK away !!!
How to use a Blender:
Put your model, rig, animation and textures in the Blender, turn the Blender on and wait for it to Render, then turn the Blender off and show it to your friends.

Auteuro

Post by Auteuro » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:30 pm

It would be sweet if Blender key/mouse bindings were fully customizable--like in a lot video games--and better yet, selectable like "skins". The default key binding could be used as a reference point for tutorials and such. I haven't searched the forums, but I'm guessing this must have been brought up before...

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Thu Dec 15, 2005 9:03 pm

Auetero, you'll need to wait till after Orange is done, so probably this summer for the custom keybindings, unless someone else can get it done before Ton plans to.

LetterRip

Auteuro

Post by Auteuro » Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:23 am

LetterRip wrote:Auetero, you'll need to wait till after Orange is done, so probably this summer for the custom keybindings, unless someone else can get it done before Ton plans to.

LetterRip
No rush here, I can wait...I just mentioned it because such a feature would totally eliminate threads like these! (Well, not the edge-loop-preview part, just the key preferences part, of course :) )

Rhellik

Post by Rhellik » Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:36 pm

I see two different things being argued about. The first is wether its better to alt+click or alt+b, the other is wether there is a preview shown or not.
Since alt+click seems more intuitive maybe combining a loop select preview with alt+click might do the trick.

Alt+click -> Preview -> Click for confirmation
or
Alt+click(hold) -> Preview -> Release for confirmation

I know that holding the mouse button is unusual for blender UI but its an alternative you could think about, since if you just click there is no preview if people dont want one, and there is one by holding if you want.

osxrules

Post by osxrules » Sat Dec 17, 2005 9:52 pm

Rhellik wrote:I see two different things being argued about. The first is wether its better to alt+click or alt+b, the other is wether there is a preview shown or not.
Since alt+click seems more intuitive maybe combining a loop select preview with alt+click might do the trick.

Alt+click -> Preview -> Click for confirmation
or
Alt+click(hold) -> Preview -> Release for confirmation

I know that holding the mouse button is unusual for blender UI but its an alternative you could think about, since if you just click there is no preview if people dont want one, and there is one by holding if you want.
I actually think the alt-click is faster too after using it more and it seems you can select faces in vertex mode with ctrl-alt-right-click on an edge. That's also fine for me even with less movement in my left hand because I can press my fist onto the keys not too badly.

I don't like the idea of holding click for preview - I think it would be unreliable like other gesture based commands. What about using the caps lock? I don't think it gets used anyway. This would mean if the caps lock was on, the loop preview would always show in editmode though, but I don't see that as a problem. It could work so that you don't even need to hold a modifier key. It would go like this:

In editmode, press caps lock turning on preview. When the mouse is over the centre half of an edge, that represents a face loop select and if it is over the upper or lower 25%, that represents the corresponding edge loop - that way you don't need a different modifier for face/edge loop select. Edge loops still get 50% coverage due to adjoining edges.

Also the loop select could be additive (like the b-key) so you don't need to hold shift and alt-click or middle click can remove an edge/face loop from the selection. When you are done, hit caps-lock.

The real problem is that preview needs to be enabled first before a selection is made, which I presume is why it was removed when alt-click was introduced.