Comparison: Blender Internal Renderer, win32 vs. gentoo64

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

konrad_ha

Post by konrad_ha » Sat Sep 10, 2005 2:16 pm

As turns out that 1 of the test runs was custom compiled.
I must mention that "compiling" something on gentoo merely means typing "emerge [package]" in the console, that's about it. For my AMD64 I had to add a little line to one system.-wide configuration file once, but this process was overwhelmingly well documented.

Although gentoo is a compile-everything distro it makes this process perfectly simple. I wouldn't be able to compile anything from pure source by hand. I tried once with The Gimp on Suse and failed miserably.

On gentoo compiling is an "out-of-the-box" process.

joeri

Post by joeri » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:38 pm

Hmmm.

I compiled blender on windows using scons in no time.
I had to ask 1 question on irc and got it going.
That was the first time I compiled anything on windows.

So I believe it's a weak point in your comparison.
Saying a car kit runs faster than a factory car is to no surprice to anyone.
No matter how much you claim that the car kit came "out of the box".

Still leaves the question if you did the rendering in the gui or in the cmdshell.

konrad_ha

Post by konrad_ha » Sun Sep 11, 2005 2:31 am

Waddayaknow, blender can now render without the gui as well.

Seems like I have some catching up to do. Last year this wasn't possible, as far as I recall. And I also read the compiling-instructions for blender back then. They were so complicated I didn't even think of trying. (And I didn't find installing gentoo complicated at all, just to put this in perspective.)

It appears as things have become a lot easier by now, I should really catch up on it.

I used the GUI for botch renderings as I didn't know better.

M@dcow

Post by M@dcow » Tue Sep 13, 2005 4:08 am

konrad_ha wrote:Waddayaknow, blender can now render without the gui as well.
It's been able to do that for years now.

joeri

Post by joeri » Mon Sep 19, 2005 10:11 am

From day one, actualy it rendered before it had the gui...
Any results yet?

tbaldridge

Post by tbaldridge » Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:39 pm

The seed half the speed syndrome here could come from one of two things. (1) the extra registers used by 64bit code, or (2) the trashy way that windows handles memory management. When you memory useage hits 512 or so, windows starts swaping out data to the disk. On linux it's way higher than that. For some of us that disable memory swaping in Linux this isn't even an issue.

I would love to see this benchmark done again but with virtual memory turned off in windows (with 1GB ram you shouldn't need it).

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Sep 28, 2005 4:58 pm

Why not an official blender benchmark file which we all can render?

Squale

Post by Squale » Sun Oct 02, 2005 11:41 am

Yeah, that would be nice - having a benchmark file, I mean.

I have a dual boot system with 2.37 versions of Blender on Linux (kernel v. 2.6.12) and on Windows (2003 Server).

Can anyone give a sophisticated .blend file that I could benchmark? - I have no .blend files at all :oops: I've installed Blender months ago, but I didn't have time to start anything except watching some video tutorials :oops:

Would anyone be so kind as to supply me with a heavy .blend scene? Please?

joeri

Post by joeri » Sun Oct 02, 2005 1:08 pm

Maybe project orange can supply us with a nice file?
I'll contact them.

soriyath

Post by soriyath » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:55 pm

This simple comparison yields interesting results. I wish I could install gentoo on my box (I get stuck with sata drivers...)

I guess that, since blender is not yet optimized for 64 bits processors, the gain in time results from "collateral" reasons (i.e. memory usage or difference in processus loads, etc.)

On my current blender project, I am rendering some meshes with a global illumination made out of dupliverted spot lights with samples 5 and raytracing for transparency. I have an AMD64 processor and I am running Windows XP 32bits.

When I use the GUI, I render the scene in about 5min23. When I do it command line, with the exact same frame and processus loads, it takes about 5min18. The gain is about 1.5% on my box.

I guess my experience shows that on a 32 bits Windows XP environment, there is no noticeable gain in time when rendering with or without GUI. It is nothing comparable with the ~50% gain in rendering time that konrad_ha has experienced.

Again, since blender is not 64 bits code oriented for the moment, I guess the gain in time results from an AMD64-tailored installation. Konrad, did you use an AMD64 LiveCD? Also, since you have to specify optimization switches at the installation of Gentoo, "emerge blender" did compile blender with all the optimizations set at the installation of Gentoo. So we have to consider that the blender build used under Gentoo was optimized.

It would be interesting to have a comparison of a Gentoo/AMD64 render and a Windows XP64 render under an optimized build.

Anyways, for the moment, blender does render faster on Gentoo/AMD64, whatever the reason is. So all I have to find out is how to get Gentoo work on my pc... :p

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Nov 02, 2005 1:39 pm

yup.

Still no news from orange, they must have been buzy with bconf.
I'll ask again, surely a scene from elephants dream can be released...