Misc. Questions

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Homestar

Misc. Questions

Post by Homestar » Mon Sep 12, 2005 1:02 am

Introduction: My name is Daniel (though I prefer Max or The DM), I'm fourteen years of age, I'm an American and I have no idea what I'm doing! I like to play Dungeons & Dragons. I assume most of you are at least thirty-five or something so I shouldn't have to explain what D&D is. Anyway, I'm almost ready to start mapping out my campaign world. I searched the net but couldn't find any software that would fit my needs. So I want to do it with Blender.

1. How long does it take to create (model, shade, light, script, render, etc) those excellent images I see in the gallery?
2. Should I buy the Blender Manual?
3. I wanna change my screen name. How do I do that?
Nerull loves Wee Jas, but Wee Jas loves Boccob. Pelor can't cope and St. Cuthbert is unaware. Obad-Hai watches Vecna carefully to make sure he doesn't slip Boccob up. Meanwhile, the less devine are caught in the cosmic crossfire.

Sutabi

Post by Sutabi » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:51 am

1. A long Time
2. Yes Support Blender
3. Dont care, and you cant.

Welcome to Blender, please find www.Elysiun.com as its a user's site this is a developers forum.

simonharvey

Post by simonharvey » Mon Sep 12, 2005 3:39 am

Hi Daniel!
This site is more for developers who work on exending and enhancing blender, the forum that you want on elysiun.com is this one here:

http://www.elysiun.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1

Kind Regards
Simon Harvey

matt_e

Re: Misc. Questions

Post by matt_e » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:41 am

Homestar wrote:3. I wanna change my screen name. How do I do that?
You can email me (from the email address that's listed in your profile) with the new username that you would like and I'll change it for you.

On the other questions, the advice about elysiun.com is good.

joeri

Post by joeri » Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:27 am

1. It takes about 60 hours to model, shade, light, render an image that can end up in the blender gallery. I've seen people do a speed model over a weekend that look pretty decent to. But,... these people know what they are doing.
2. Well, you can also download the manual from this site. If you are more convertable with paper and don't want to print the whole thing you are propably better of buying the manual. But my advice would be to take a good look at the tutorials and the quickstart here http://www.blender.org/cms/Tutorials.243.0.html to see if 3d is your cup of tea at all. My experience is that playing games is much more fun than making them.

Jared A. Cronin

Post by Jared A. Cronin » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:17 pm

Homestar wrote:Introduction: My name is Daniel (though I prefer Max or The DM), I'm fourteen years of age, I'm an American and I have no idea what I'm doing! I like to play Dungeons & Dragons. I assume most of you are at least thirty-five or something so I shouldn't have to explain what D&D is. Anyway, I'm almost ready to start mapping out my campaign world. I searched the net but couldn't find any software that would fit my needs. So I want to do it with Blender.

1. How long does it take to create (model, shade, light, script, render, etc) those excellent images I see in the gallery?
2. Should I buy the Blender Manual?
3. I wanna change my screen name. How do I do that?
hey daniel i am 12 years old so dont think we are all old LOL.
Jared A. Cronin Noob

PigmentMonk

The questions

Post by PigmentMonk » Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:31 am

Daniel, I am also fourteen. I have been involved with teams of animators and programmers for over 4 years, and I would recomend Blender as the best free modeling software.

Personally, if you want to make games, learn c++ and get an engine. If you just want to use game editors, it is completely up to the sofware creators to decide what model and animation files are acceptable.

Your questions:
1. Depending on wether you are modeling for a movie or game, the time ranges from 24 hours (If you are fast and modeling, texturing, rigging, etc.) to several months.

2. I didn't buy a blender manual, but I am an exptremely fast learner. It is a good idea to get one for reference and support.

3. You can't