New Mac OS X version of desaster's cvs blender

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

sgefant

New Mac OS X version of desaster's cvs blender

Post by sgefant »

Download it from http://blender.dragonlight.fi/files/bin ... -28.tar.gz

This version features quicktime import (thanks to phase), which probably is quite buggy (thanks to me)

other noteworthy features

see http://blender.dragonlight.fi/ for general info about desaster's cvs

sgefant

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

Please do not yell. It will not work. 10.2.3
How am I supost to run it ? Is there a method ?
It shows up in the dock then dissapears.

^o^

sgefant

Post by sgefant »

You most likely don't have OpenAL installed. Get the runtime libraries from http://developer.creative.com/scripts/D ... .asp?opt=2

I'm sorry for forgetting to mentioning this in my original post.

sgefant

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

No that did not work. I bet it's that I do not have the BSD stuff installed.

Maybe I will get around to it. Do you know of anything else I can do ?
?
^o^

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

oh kyy I see it now.
The rest of the al files were hiding on the desktop.

:D ^v^

kattkieru

Post by kattkieru »

Why does the desaster tree still use openAL and not fmod at this point? Just curious.

sgefant

Post by sgefant »

kattkieru wrote:Why does the desaster tree still use openAL and not fmod at this point? Just curious.
because I want it this way :)

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

Why is it so slow though ?
0vo

kattkieru

Post by kattkieru »

sgefant wrote:because I want it this way :)
*in Tyler Durden voice:* Good answer. :D

Question for ya (as nobody seems interested in my post on the subject) -- you wouldn't mind telling me how to fix the ranlib issues, would you? When I try building it tells me to run ranlib on libfrozen, which I do, but then it tells me to run ranlib again and again. I've tried with both -a and -s to no success.

Thanks.

sgefant

Post by sgefant »

Money_YaY! wrote:Why is it so slow though ?
I didn't notice any slowness. What part of blender is slow (the interface, rendering, ...)?

kattkieru wrote: Question for ya (as nobody seems interested in my post on the subject) -- you wouldn't mind telling me how to fix the ranlib issues, would you? When I try building it tells me to run ranlib on libfrozen, which I do, but then it tells me to run ranlib again and again. I've tried with both -a and -s to no success.
Thanks.
This doesn't show up on desaster's tree... However, I had a similar problem when building from cvs01, maybe this post to bf-commiters helps: http://www.blender.org/pipermail/bf-com ... 00387.html

sgefant

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

interface buttons lag like a druged tug boat on land.

The buttons do not respond for what seems to be at least
40 seconds each. This never happened in alpha but when beta came along
it was tweenty seconds then publisher it was 30 now this. ????

ovO

kattkieru

Post by kattkieru »

sgefant: cheers man! I'll try that. Turns out a lot of stuff seems to get rebuilt each time you go through the build on the cvs01 tree. Maybe I'll switch over to desaster's tree instead. ^.^

Incidentally, has anyone talked about a ~/.blendrc for startup options?

money: what system are you running on? you know what kind of video card you have? I had excessive issues with blender on my 500MHz iBook because it only had 8 meg of video ram and thus didn't support hardware acceleration of the GUI. I found it usable, though, if I switched the screen to thousands of colors before loading blender (usable, but nowhere near as fast as linux blender on my 400MHz PC).

There's another option, however: a true full-screen mode. When you make a window really full-screen in OS X, it gets a lot more CPU focus and this speeds up screen rendering significantly. A good example of this is the shareware game Pop-pop. Play it in a window on an mac with an 8 meg video card and it chugs, but play it full screen and it's terrific.

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! »

kattkieru wrote: money: what system are you running on? you know what kind of video card you have? I had excessive issues with blender on my 500MHz iBook because it only had 8 meg of video ram and thus didn't support hardware acceleration of the GUI. I found it usable, though, if I switched the screen to thousands of colors before loading blender (usable, but nowhere near as fast as linux blender on my 400MHz PC).

There's another option, however: a true full-screen mode. When you make a window really full-screen in OS X, it gets a lot more CPU focus and this speeds up screen rendering significantly. A good example of this is the shareware game Pop-pop. Play it in a window on an mac with an 8 meg video card and it chugs, but play it full screen and it's terrific.
white ibook 500 mhz 312 ram some sort of video card. 10.2.3
beta works great. this does not. oh well
ov?

Ender

Post by Ender »

sgefant wrote:You most likely don't have OpenAL installed. Get the runtime libraries from http://developer.creative.com/scripts/D ... .asp?opt=2

I'm sorry for forgetting to mentioning this in my original post.

sgefant
I can’t get OpenAL to install. I run the first installer, get the PKG file on my desktop, double click it and... nothing happens. Is this because I’m running OS 10.1.5?