ATI GRAPHIC CARD AND s l o w B l e n d e r FIX

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

FTNichols

ATI GRAPHIC CARD AND s l o w B l e n d e r FIX

Post by FTNichols »

Possible quick fix for ATI graphics card and v e r y s l o w B l e n d e r.
Have been missing blender because it is so s l o w on my new laptop with ATI Radeon card. OK, I have may have found the solution. First I tried every form of ATI driver and catalyst with absolutly no change. HP said try catalyst, ATI said it would not work on laptop. It seems that Microsoft does not really like OpenGL yet, < they like directX> but I understand that the new Windows version will be much better with OpenGL. The solution is to go to display properties, lower graphics acceleration to one step above the lowest..... now blender flies again with no loss of quality. When I am done blending, I just raise the acceleration and then all of the the ATI controls return. YEE HAAAW.... I CAN BLEND AGAIN.
Thanks for your help, just thought I would pass this along.
FTNichols

mchs3d

Post by mchs3d »

Couple things:
1. Windows Vista (the next version) is severely reducing OpenGL support, and they'll cut its performance by about half. Read here for more information.
2. There's an easier and better way for getting Blender to work properly on ATI cards. Just download this file and stick it in the same directory that blender.exe is. Then you can turn hardware acceleration all the way up and Blender should still run like a whistle. :D

FTNichols

SLOW BLENDER

Post by FTNichols »

Thaks for he info, but I don see an the atachment on you post, please send it and I will give it a try, hope it works.

Thanks Again
FGUMP
FTNichols

winfried

Post by winfried »

If you click on the word "this" in mchs3d's post, you can download the file.

mchs3d

Post by mchs3d »

Yes, sorry. The words "this" and "here" are the links, they're just very faint. :?

spoonboiler

Post by spoonboiler »

hi

just a thank you to both of you for the suggestions / help.

I have been searching for a couple of days now, and finally decided to join the forum - i should have done this right away :oops:

cheers :D
"something clever" tm