Autodesk to Acquire Alias

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Goofster

Post by Goofster » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:03 pm

I say we have a big donation campaign and buy autodesk!
Seriously large aquisition, but I read that they have no plans
to change maya in the near future. They both have very different
customers anyway, I guess they will focus maya on the movie
industry and max on the games.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v99/t ... IMITED.jpg

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Oct 05, 2005 12:06 pm

... hahaha, almost ready to be bought by microsoft.

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:24 pm

This kind of major consolidation usually means that their market segment s contracting. Really, who are their competitors now? Lightwave? Pixar's proprietary stuff? If the market is indeed contracting, one has to wonder why. It's certainly not a demand for quality 3D animation software overall. If anything, that has to be going up. With the proliferation and individualization of TV channels, as well as more and content produced mostly for Internet distribution, the actual volume of 3D/animated/graphics material is skyrocketing.

So if the overall market is growing, why is their segment contracting? Could it be that software like Blender is making inroads into the market segment formally dominated by the Big Boys? I'm not saying that Blender is taking over. Just that the increasing quality of midrange programs and systems has removed the stranglehold that the Big Boys used to have on the less-demanding market segments, as well as depressing their prices.

Hmmm. If you had told me two years ago that AutoDesk was going to buy Alias, I would've laughed my head of at you. But then again, I would have done the same thing if you had read me the current Blender feature sheet, too.

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed Oct 05, 2005 2:58 pm

harkyman wrote:Really, who are their competitors now?
I think there are two sides on this.
In my experience the market is not rocketering, europe currently lives in a depression (not that i'm hungry orso but that's what they call <1 % inflation), and that means money cuts on the marketing budget which results in less multimedia and cheaper projects what mean cuts in expensive film and 3d.

How much more features do we need? SSS?, Hair?, SeaEmulator?, SunPredictor? None of my clients are interested in me spending a week of their budget just to create a glass of milk with hair in glorious 3d when it's just as easy to film it and have some after effects aplied to it..
Maya is pretty much done (for tv market) get the bugs out and move on.
I personaly find this a serious interesting issue. Are coming in a decade where the fasion of software (gui) is becoming more important than it's enginering/functionality?

nemyax

Post by nemyax » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:13 pm

harkyman wrote:Could it be that software like Blender is making inroads into the market segment formally dominated by the Big Boys?
I'm positive this is not the case. These kinds of mergers and acquisitions have been taking place for years, throughout the history of Autodesk, Alias and Softimage.

ZanQdo

Post by ZanQdo » Wed Oct 05, 2005 5:40 pm

But have you see Autodesk's budget? its HUGE compared to alias budget, itas a billions to millions comparizon! So if I were discreet i'll just purchase this "small" and anoing company and thats it, all that's left over is newtec and SoftImage and..... Animation master? :? oh yes there is Modo tryng to make his way into animation :roll:

The thing is I don't think autodesk has economical problems due to a low selling of their producs at all :P
:-) Hosting for your test builds:
GraphicAll.org

3D-Can

Merger

Post by 3D-Can » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:10 pm

Not to mention acqisitions in CAD (inventor) and Discrete. The Maya world takeover is astounding. I must say, it is a smart move if they can afford it. The news hasn't yet reflected on their stock price.

Like others have said, content and content creators are exploding. I would like to see their business model open up with lower priced software sold in larger and perhaps discounted quantities. There is a little known secret, they already discount their software heavily in some poor foreign countries.

If they keep up with the current set of business values they will continually get slammed by open source providers like blender and ever improving lower priced packages like Rhino etc. Worse yet, they are contributing a huge profit motive to the software pirates who traffic in WAREZ.

lukep

Post by lukep » Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:13 pm

ZanQdo wrote:But have you see Autodesk's budget? its HUGE compared to alias budget, itas a billions to millions comparizon! So if I were discreet i'll just purchase this "small" and anoing company and thats it, all that's left over is newtec and SoftImage and..... Animation master? :? oh yes there is Modo tryng to make his way into animation :roll:

The thing is I don't think autodesk has economical problems due to a low selling of their producs at all :P
Autodesk DO NOT MAKE HIS MONEY from Max. their main income come by far from the core CAD/CAM tools (Autocad/Inventor) or the very specialized compositing software (inferno ...). On the CAD side they were loosing customers by the bunch in favor of SOLIDWORKS. Alias was doing alongside Maya a very good CAD tool named Studio Tools.

Guess what likely motivated the acquisition ? Maya was just a nice add-on

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:22 pm

harkyman,
Really, who are their competitors now?
XSI, lightwave, cinema4d, houdini

XSI is currently the only serious competition. Also much of the pipeline is being moved out of the monolithic software - now it is modo or silo for SDS, ZBrush for normal mapping, and BodyPaint for painting.
Could it be that software like Blender is making inroads into the market segment formally dominated by the Big Boys?
Part of it is that NURBS are being left behind and SDS is becoming dominant, the best tools for each job are now all stand alone and/or built in house, everything is gaining very good interoperation with the standardized file formats, so focusing the pipeline around a particular piece of software isn't as neccessary. Also with numerous high quality rendering solutions available there is a lot more flexibility.

lukep,

good point regarding Studio Tools,

LetterRip