Official 2.40 alpha1 testing build

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

lukep

Re: Will OS X 10.2 be supported?

Post by lukep » Mon Oct 17, 2005 10:45 pm

pamtango wrote:Will OS X 10.2 be supported when the official release comes around?
Folks stuck wiht old iBooks want to know.
Thanks,
PamTango
yep. no worries there

Apollux

Post by Apollux » Mon Oct 17, 2005 11:34 pm

lusque wrote:Bight_Jeremy: this is not a bug, it's the new behaviour for multiple constraints of the same type.
For more than 2 copyLocation set the third influence to 0.333 (=1/3), for the forth 0.25 (=1/4), for the fifth 0.2 (=1/5) and so on. For further information try this topic:
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43880
That' s what I call "overcomplication"

I use multiple constraints of the same type most of the time, some times even 5 together on the same bone... fine tunning a rig will just become a total hell if that new approach remains true.

If there is a heavy weight technicall reason for this new behavior, then would it be possible that under the GUI level the influences are automatically reduced by the appropiate factor. So users can still input round numbers on the GUI and the internal working of Blender convert them to whatever they need to be converted, without the user knowing about it. Is that possible?

Bight_Jeremy

Post by Bight_Jeremy » Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:45 am

Apollux wrote:
lusque wrote:Bight_Jeremy: this is not a bug, it's the new behaviour for multiple constraints of the same type.
For more than 2 copyLocation set the third influence to 0.333 (=1/3), for the forth 0.25 (=1/4), for the fifth 0.2 (=1/5) and so on. For further information try this topic:
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=43880
That' s what I call "overcomplication"

I use multiple constraints of the same type most of the time, some times even 5 together on the same bone... fine tunning a rig will just become a total hell if that new approach remains true.

If there is a heavy weight technicall reason for this new behavior, then would it be possible that under the GUI level the influences are automatically reduced by the appropiate factor. So users can still input round numbers on the GUI and the internal working of Blender convert them to whatever they need to be converted, without the user knowing about it. Is that possible?

I have to agree with Apollux, this does seem like an overcomplicated way of weighting the constraints, plus this is going to wreak havoc when I open up almost all of my old blend files.
- Jeremy

n_t

Re: Fluid Simulator in 2.40 Alpha1

Post by n_t » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:16 am

ROUBAL wrote:Hi!
The 2.40 seems marvelous, though, I noticed a weird behaviour in the fluid simulator:
- When several objects are used as obstacle, some of them are detected as obstacle and some others are not. In a test file using 3 planes as obstacles, the 1st and the 3rd are detected as obstacles, and the fluid passes through the second one.

- I have tried to pour some water in a glass, and the water is stopped by the upper side of the glass, whic his open. The bound box seems to be used for the glass (set as obstacle) obstacle instead of the real shape...
Normals have been recalc outside with no better result.(Checked also with recalc inside).
Philippe.
Hi ROUBAL, planes currently are problematic - you can try to use boxes (the objects should have some volume) and increasing the resolution.

The example with the glass sounds strange - maybe you can post the .blend file where it happens?

Thanks,
-> Nils

Zsolt

Post by Zsolt » Fri Oct 21, 2005 1:12 pm

When trying to run the new 2.40 alpha version at school, on Windows XP, I noticed that it needs a dll: MSVCR71.dll to run. Now probably some other MS program installed this on my home PC, but not here.
Please, please include this in the zipfile, its not too big (184kb)! Noone likes having to search the net for a missing DLL for a program he's trying to run.

Besides that, this 2.40 is going to rock!!! Thanks to all the coders and contributors!

ROUBAL: I had similar problems with a glass, the liquid just poured through it. It seems it happens if the glass is too thin (like thinnner than the cell size of the fluid simulation), try making it thicker. Then in the final render, you can replace it with the original thinner version.

Zarf

Post by Zarf » Fri Oct 21, 2005 2:40 pm

Bight_Jeremy wrote: I have to agree with Apollux, this does seem like an overcomplicated way of weighting the constraints, plus this is going to wreak havoc when I open up almost all of my old blend files.
My tendency was to agree with both of you, but I wanted to check out how some other programs do it first. Sure enough, Alias motionbuilder used the 'old behavior' for 'blending' multiple constraints. If I have time I can check some other programs (C4D perhaps) and report back.

I have at least one very complicated rig that will be destroyed by this.

Cheers,
Xarf

franzrogar

Post by franzrogar » Fri Oct 21, 2005 4:57 pm

EDIT: It was a problem with my OS. So ignore this post.

Could anyone set on the Internation Fonts in the build?

We're a group that is making the i18n and l10n in Blender, so we need that option actived.

Webpage: Blender España
Team: bf-docboard-es

aligorith

Post by aligorith » Sun Oct 23, 2005 8:32 am

Hi,

I was trying the drivers test-file from the Orange blog and encountered some strange behaviour under this build for Windows. When the action window was less than a certain width, the bit with the names of things was not drawn, each channel (right terminology?) was a black strip with white and yellow rectangles drawn over part of it. These were also the wrong width - not the normal width of a keyframe. NLA window also did similar funny things. Also, there didn't seem to be any animation when clicking the play button on the timeline, or pressing ALT-A.

Aligorith