I'm new here and i have a few Q's

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Morgoth

I'm new here and i have a few Q's

Post by Morgoth »

Hi, first of all i'd like to congratulate you for making such an amazing free program, i'm really impressed.

I plan to make with some of my friends a quite simple game using Ogre engine (www.ogre3d.org) but unfortunately we can't afford any license for 3ds max or other Maya, so we need some free-ware stuff, on the other side we need many newest techniques and tips like normalmapping etc. to keep our game on a today's level.

And here comes my question:
Can we use blender to make normalmaps? and if so, which kind and complexity level can we create? I'd like to use common technique with rendering high-poly mesh onto textured low-poly one, but I've found on this forum that you can create normalmap only for flat surfaces like doors, walls etc. So where is the truth:)?

I tried to use nVidia's MeLODy but it seems a bit buggy and hard to understand for me:(, besides I don't want to depend on any 'almost monopolist' :] - it's always better to use, contribute and promote free soft. :D

As a coder I'd also like to help You with any part of this great project if I'll find it usefull.

Keep the good work
cheers
posts++;

reimpell

Re: I'm new here and i have a few Q's

Post by reimpell »

Morgoth wrote:I'd like to use common technique with rendering high-poly mesh onto textured low-poly one
ATI .nmf Interface

Morgoth

Post by Morgoth »

Ok, thx for the clue, I will check it out and then ask eventual questions:)

cheers
posts++;