Sound in Blender 3D

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

tioilmo

Sound in Blender 3D

Post by tioilmo »

Hi folks !

Do you intend to extend the other sound file extensions in the new version 2.40.

For example : MP3 and MID

I think with these two additional types of sound files Blender 3D will cover the most important kind of sounds available in the Internet to use in our projects.

I hope you should think about this issue. The WAVE sounds (available in the current version) are very big comparing to these two types of sounds.

That´s my recomendation.

Thanks,

Ilmo
"God modeled, texturized and animated the world in 6 days but in the 7th day He rendered. "

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

yes, but how?

Sugardude

Post by Sugardude »

mp3 is a compressed wav-type file, so technically, anything that can play wav can play mp3 with the correct codecs, I don't understand why mp3 isn't implemented in Blender yet...

However, midi (.mid files) aren't actually sounds, they are commands that tell the computer to play a set of already existing sounds. When you play "midnight sonata.mid" (just an example, it's a sonata for piano only), the computer reads the commands in the midi file, ie : instrument, note, velocity (how hard it was pressed), and it does this for each note in the file.

Implementing this into Blender would be odd, there would have to be sounds to associate midi files to within Blender (or Blender could go and get the midi sounds supplied with your computer (usually with the sound card).

A better idea would be to use a music editing program, enter the *.mid file, and associate channels to samples by hand before exporting as a *.wav (or mp3 if it get's supported by Blender).
Righto...

OTO

Post by OTO »

Hello

I've read somewhere ( Ton's post) that Blender will integrate the Ffmpeg
library, so many, many formats will be available
Unfortunately not OGG I guess :(

Please don't use MP3 format. It's license protected
Bye

ysvry

Post by ysvry »

i once made mp3 with .wav extension and they worked fine.

joeri

Post by joeri »

I hope blender will one day become a professional video editor.
That will blow finalcutpro from the earth. Or something more modest will be fine to.
But for blender to become an audio edit program?
Importing midi files does not strike as needed to me as suggested in this post.
Reading mp3's might be a bit more, although I don't know why you would want to edit with a lossy file format.

The diskspace argument is weird, specialy because a 5 minutes wav takes less disk space then half a second of animation.

Ammusionist

Post by Ammusionist »

Doesn't Python describe a MIDI API?

I guess some bright spark could add a python MIDI script.

Personally, if I want to use a MIDI in Blender, I use Audacity to record the MIDI playing throught the computer's synthesyzer and save it back as a WAV.

lightning

Post by lightning »

joeri wrote:The diskspace argument is weird, specialy because a 5 minutes wav takes less disk space then half a second of animation.
...assuming that the animation is uncompressed? Blender supports loads of codecs for animation, but only wav for audio.
The dawn of a new error...

bmud

Post by bmud »

There are a lot of sound formats that are not supported yet. If you're running the game engine, mp3 and MIDI are not the only desireable formats, so one must use an outside python-bound library.

fmod
openAL

openAL is currently being implimented into Blender (sloooowly). I'm all for implementing multiple libraries such as openAL to handle mp3/ogg/wav and then something else for the game engine so it can handle it/xm/s3m/mod/wav/mp3/midi/ogg

For any of you out there that don't play with sound very much, believe it or not, good sound mixing is only as good as the software allows. Right now the best wave editor out there is probably Adobe Audition 1.5.

I've tried doing a lot of research on sound support in the past mainly for the blender community game project. Feel free to search my name on http://bcgp.dyndns.org for some more threads that might prove useful, and a lot of dead ends too.