ART FLUXUS

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

paleajed

ART FLUXUS

Post by paleajed » Wed Nov 23, 2005 4:23 pm

You are all living in another dimension consciously connected to Cyberspace. You are digital life ? You are the timeless computer entity making contact with humankind ? You have your mind translated into XML code ?

I am not joking.

Blender world should be more accessible. ALL TEST-BUILDS on main Blender website. ALL SCRIPTS clearly documented and catalogized on main Blender site. Colourful key shortcut list included in program. Artists do not vibe on system programmer jokes, lingo, or endless boring pathways to nothingdom.

Out of the hat, understutzung of the flow or go !

stiv

Post by stiv » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:09 pm

NOTE: I moved this from the Python forum.

I figured it either belongs here in News & Chat or in Incoherent Rants.

paleajed

Post by paleajed » Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:35 pm

It belongs in "Try to sing a positively magically hymin and feelin or I'll have to drop out..."

joeri

Post by joeri » Thu Nov 24, 2005 9:44 am

Interesting.
I'm not plugged into xml code.
So I'm on your side.

The trouble is resources. There is not enough organisation power to get all things communicated right.
And there is the thing sortof linked to what you are talking about: Open source is sort of a techy religion. ( Although some designers and musicians are in the realm of CC ). Source code is an easy thing to share, design is not, and organising totally not.
So how to organize and communicate? Or how to get people that can brand, publish and communicate blender on a professional level (and do it for free, just as the developers)? I know it's been a question for the BF for some years now and the answer is not in sight.

Currently it's done by the developers, they are most interested in getting their work in the open, so they spend some of their time in getting their own stuff out there. But yes, they do it in the way they know best, and that's not very suitable to the people who are on the other far end of a application; the users who are absolutely not-technical. Blender makes that even worse. Blender is not written with the mac-adobe user in mind, it's written with the creative programmer in mind. Over the years complaints from "the user base" or community as they like to call themselfs, made blender more accesable to modern (I don't care how my computer works) users. With interface changes, modern colors, weird gadget drawing over your work, that sort of things, blender tries to please the ever growing group of users.
And make it easier to understand for everybody ofcourse. But the website is staying behind, and is not structured towards users.
Even worse, it's expressed not to be in the interest of the BF, it's left to other sites like elysiun.com. But I cannot believe that's the right road to go. At some point there can be no new bussiness for blender if they don't help out the users. Buy a blenderbook when there is no place where I can read comments about it? Start a blender course when there is no official site where I can talk to my potential clients? Bad, bad marketing.

So, don't drop out, lent a hand, contribute. :)

macouno

Post by macouno » Thu Nov 24, 2005 3:00 pm

stiv wrote:NOTE: I moved this from the Python forum.
LOL

paleajed: blender is open source... which means almost everything that is done is done by volunteers... if you think you can help then by all means... volunteer.

Roy

Post by Roy » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:03 pm

I have some experience in what people find usefull, however I choose to do this commercially... There are quite a few design businesses based around Blender, they sell their output, and why not? I sell a Blender tutorial program on e-bay. I state clearly that Blender is free. The price is very fair, and my feedback has been superb. I intend to release an updated set of cd roms once 2.4 is oficially released. If it continues to be succesfull, and I intend to increase my marketing as my product improves, I may be in a position to offer regular funding to the Blender foundation. (I would boast about this in my marketing!).
link,
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Dalek-Star-wars-S ... dZViewItem

bjornmose

Post by bjornmose » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:59 pm

Roy,
besides this is a rather off topic plug to your business activities .. ( /me holds the horses )
I guess GNU-licence would like to see a link to www.blender.org in your e-bay presentation.
BM

ysvry

Post by ysvry » Sat Nov 26, 2005 11:09 am

i dont think thats a bad ideer roy, how much did you sell already?

Roy

Post by Roy » Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:02 pm

bjornmose, I did include a direct link to blender.org, but the listing was pulled by e-bay as you are only allowed 1 link in the listing (1 already to more details) Instead I give the information that Bender can be obtained free from the blender foundation, a quick google by the viewer would find it quickly. Sorry if you think its off topic, the discussion seemed to be about teaching Blender, I actually have exposed a good product idea to people who can do something similar so I really dont consider it a 'plug' !!
If the moderators dis-approve a quick e-mail to me and I would never refer to this again!

ysvry, thanks, I have had 52 customers since early July. I havent been pushing it too hard, as I have ideas to update once 2.4 released.