-w switch

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

jshanab

-w switch

Post by jshanab »

Just a quick suggestion
Defaulting to a full screen which spans both monitors and wipes out access to desktop with no icon,menuitem or anything on how to resize the main window is a bad start. Furthormore, while I found reference to and hear videos of people saying" i always forget the window switch" It took 3 hours to get to the point where I found, in someones email, that it is -w on the command line

Blender already has almost an apology on it's user interface at the beginning of each tutorial, maybe for people who haven't used it before you want to default to a window that allows viewing the tutorial and include the mainwindow controls first (PS. another good idea is to assume people's 3rd mouse button doesn't work the first time, ie don't put a critical command on it)

z3r0_d

Re: -w switch

Post by z3r0_d »

jshanab wrote:Just a quick suggestion
Defaulting to a full screen which spans both monitors and wipes out access to desktop with no icon,menuitem or anything on how to resize the main window is a bad start. Furthormore, while I found reference to and hear videos of people saying" i always forget the window switch" It took 3 hours to get to the point where I found, in someones email, that it is -w on the command line
linux? neither windows nor macos default to fullscreen anymore.
jshanab wrote:Blender already has almost an apology on it's user interface at the beginning of each tutorial, maybe for people who haven't used it before you want to default to a window that allows viewing the tutorial and include the mainwindow controls first (PS. another good idea is to assume people's 3rd mouse button doesn't work the first time, ie don't put a critical command on it)
all the decent tutorials say at the begining to get a 3 button mouse or use alt+left mouse anywhere middle mouse is required. And on a mac you can use command+click [apple+click?... I never remember these things] for the right mouse.

Ammusionist

Post by Ammusionist »

For what it's worth - I always hated using MMB (Too easy to scroll the wheel trying to click) so I got into the habbit of using Alt-LMB about 2 years ago and don't even think of it now.

Just IMHO!! :roll:

Cheers.

lightning

Post by lightning »

z3r0_d: Just FYI, on some (logitech?) mice, when you install them it defaults to some random logicrap scroll function for the middlemouse- so unless you know that blender *needs* the middlemouse button it doesnt always work fluently.

That said, AFAIK the chances that blender will move away from middlemouse camera movement are pretty close to zilch. Though, it might be a good idea to have a FAQ somewhere (or if there is one then to mention that).
The dawn of a new error...

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

lightning wrote:z3r0_d: Just FYI, on some (logitech?) mice, when you install them it defaults to some random logicrap scroll function for the middlemouse- so unless you know that blender *needs* the middlemouse button it doesnt always work fluently.
microsoft mice are the same way

[alt+lmb doesn't work on linux all the time either... there are a bunch of quirks with things like this]

Raceimaztion

Post by Raceimaztion »

I know this is an old thread, but I'd rather drege up an old post than post anew and have people point out old threads.

I'd really like Linux Blender to default to using the -w switch, rather than having to specify it on the command line.

Please? :shock:

nemyax

Post by nemyax »

Just make an executable text file called Blender-windowed.sh with this line in it:
<path_to_blender_executable> -w

joeri

Post by joeri »

Same discussion all over again.

Is blender a pro tool or a noob-to-3d-app ?
Who to prefer?

From the history of blender it's set as a pro tool.
Made for an o.s. that had 3 apps: imp, showcase and ... blender!

If somebody has the time to implement then I can imagine a tick in the setup:
Dumb mode: "Hé just checking out what this freebee is."
Pro mode:"Yup blender is all I do all day."

dumbies don't buy a 3 button mouse just to use a silly app, pros do.
Using 3 fingers during a 10 hour workday is less repeatstressfull then 1
It's also more intuitive! Just look at a piano. But with a learning curve that trybees don't like. Software is suppost to solve their lack of creativity in most cases anyway. That's why casio has demo modes on their keyboards.
So, please stop telling what alterations to this grand piano we have should be made so it look more as a casio keyboard.

What do you think?