More fundraising? Will there be official Bfoundation release

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Doogs

More fundraising? Will there be official Bfoundation release

Post by Doogs » Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:13 am

Ton,

I just heard from a very unreliable source that we have to raise 100k every year? is this a lie? I thought blender is free from here on in?

also what is the scoop on a new blenderfoundation release? are coders working on an official one? or is it going to be scattered chaos without physics game engine :(

doogs

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton » Fri Jan 17, 2003 2:07 pm

Hehe... freedom has a price, er? :-)
But it's not true, the 100k was a one-time fee. No worries.

The coders projects around blender are slowly getting pace. I realize most people expected some quick miracles going on, but the real situation is that Blender is just too complex to grasp or handle easily. It takes a lot of time to get confident with Blender code.

We'll get there, you'll see!

Doogs

Post by Doogs » Fri Jan 17, 2003 11:52 pm

Ton,

you didnt say all of that when you were fundraising were you?

:(

i think many of us feel like we've been thrown for a loop.

slowly but surely we're all reaching and finding lots of bugs that could be simply programmed in (to programmers who know how to) and i tihnk we all expected some kind of steady pace but we dont see it. its been a pretty long time too. We're starting to worry (us non programmers)

:(

doogs

lokmer

Post by lokmer » Sat Jan 18, 2003 1:36 am

Sounds like it's your first brush with an open source project. :)

I think you'll find that most projects of this nature take a while to ramp up and hit their stride, but once they do hit their stride they're release cycles are very quick (like Blender's was a year ago when they had a team of coders that were in the groove).

It's like learning to work on a car, or speak a foreign language. Each new car has its own peculiarities and it takes time to master them before you can simply dive in and fix things with confidence. The same with each new language. Say you know French. From there learning Italian, Spanish, Latin, etc. is a lot eaiser than doing these things from German, but it still takes time to get used to the small peculiarities of each language.

I don't think we were thrown for a loop. What Ton was selling when he was fundraising was the key to be able to do this, not instant bliss. And we did get a BF release of Publisher 2.5, which was hitherto a commercial product that wasn't available to the community at large.

And, since the source code release, there has been marked and rapid improvement in many of the plugins and helper apps, most notably MakeHuman, which is a poser killer in all areas but clothing.

So, take heart! You didn't get shafted. Things are looking up!
-Lokmer

xype

Post by xype » Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:57 am

Doogs wrote:Ton,

From how I remember it it was clear from the beginning that not a lot of productive activita was expected in the first few months. In the background many people are learning how to work with the source code and things are developing, but OpenSourcing a projects doesn't give you instant results. Heck, just look at how long Netscape fiddled with OpenSourcing and making Mozilla.

If you are not a programmer it's easy to get carried away because you do not understand the complexity of such a project - but believe me, things are going forward.

Doogs

Post by Doogs » Sat Jan 18, 2003 3:16 pm

i guess im a bit frustrated when I find all the sudden unmentioned bugs in the game engine and its kind of upsetting, like you can only use a maximum of 31 sound samples in a game file, and things like that. its upsetting. and i was so excited when i bought the gamekit and i still feel like theres so much that needs to be done and that I cant help because im not a programmer......

doogs

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton » Sat Jan 18, 2003 4:13 pm

Doogs wrote:Ton,
During the fundraising campaign the only issue involved was getting the sources freed. What exactly would happen after that was a big question for everyone involved.
I've only promised to work at facilitating that process within the Blender Foundation, by establishing web services first, and after that helping out making Blender a better product.

That's all done with volunteers, and I'm very proud at what we've done so far. I think everyone, including me, had hoped for more and faster results too. OpenSource projects just don't work that easy.

ox

the wheels of the gods grind slowly

Post by ox » Sat Jan 18, 2003 7:09 pm

I've been using open source/linux for 3 years. It is a very different world than M$. Be patient. I have a friend who works for sony playstation2 and he hadn't even heard that blender went open source. That was just last weekend. Once word is out through tools like siggraph etc more open source community resources will be directed at blender and production will speed up. The fact is that word is just now getting out. That's how you can help doogs. Get the word out. Go on to the www and let your favorite 3d forums know what's going on. Produce the best products you can with what blender is now and others will put the momentum of their programming skills etc into blender. That's how it works with open source. Tons focus on siggraph is pointing right to the needed fix -- awareness in the programming community. Turn your frustration into something productive and blender will reward you.

Hos

Post by Hos » Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:00 pm

Doogs wrote:... and i still feel like theres so much that needs to be done and that I cant help because im not a programmer......
You could look at this as an excellent opportunity to
learn programming.

I would recommend you start by reading this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... 0131103628

Regards,
Chris

thorax

Ton, abstain from using "product" with "open

Post by thorax » Sun Jan 19, 2003 12:09 am

Blender is an application not a product, those lines
were drawn when it became open source.

Unless you still think you are in business and runnign a company.

You just open sourced your codebase..

Now what will happen is what people feel compelled to do with the source
code. I wouldn't call these guys volunteers either, that can carry with
it some bad conotations, such as I had a friend who sold his website
for 5 million and was able to develop it with the help of volunteers,
I think of that example everytime I hear anyone mention the word
"volunteer". What these people should be called is "enthusiastic and
interested individuals who want a more dependable animation package".

Oh blender could be called a "package".

Kiernan