new guy

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

artist

new guy

Post by artist » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:15 pm

I am using Anim8or but it is lacking in some things i want. Am wondering
how blender stacks up to Anim8or. Does belnder have the ability to make reflections without a paint program, does it have a glass edge effect, etc?
Before I try want to know more about it. any place I can get specfics
on blender?

Artist

grafixsuz

Post by grafixsuz » Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:36 pm

Welcome, he who is called artist. It is good to be able help someone in the same situation as I was in a year ago.

Basically, blender can do anything you need it to do for the average artist.
have a look on the homepage site under documentation... in fact just use the link that you see here on your right to find out any information you may need to know. Also check out the wiki documentation and Noob to pro section on wiki media. It has general info, and a lot of tutorials to get you up and running in no time.

I have also used Anim8or before, but I prefer blender because of it's unique style and the support from the various forums is more than enough to help you out when you get started. I too was unsure about it, but actually blender is in fact fast becoming a competitor to the high end apps out there. Give it a few years

Only advice is don't give up after opening it and realising that it is not standard in it's interface. Stick with it, I know you will enjoy using it after a while. :D

kAinStein

Re: new guy

Post by kAinStein » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:33 am

artist wrote:Does belnder have the ability to make reflections without a paint program, does it have a glass edge effect, etc?
Before I try want to know more about it. any place I can get specfics
on blender?
For short: Blender is a full blown modelling, animation and rendering suite with a fast scanline and a fast raytracing renderer. It can export to various formats and you can take use of the Yafray renderer directly from the Blender UI.

But I'm not sure what kind of information you're searching. If you want to know more about Blender's features then you should start at the blender3d.org site. Especially this page: http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Features.155.0.html - Take also a look at the galleries to see what is possible.

If you're searching information about how to use Blender then you should read the documentation and/or do some tutorials. A good starting point would be http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Documentation.628.0.html

For questions regarding the use of Blender you should go to the elysiun forums at http://www.elysiun.com/ - that's the community site and definitely a better place to ask user related questions.

ZanQdo

Post by ZanQdo » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:20 am

I used Anim8or too some years ago, belive me, there is no comparison, just move on to Blender :D
:-) Hosting for your test builds:
GraphicAll.org

artist

Post by artist » Wed Feb 08, 2006 5:54 pm

I have been reading a bit about blender and it seems to be very impressive. I have tried other 3d modelers in the past and have been disappointed. Zmodeler was good at modeling but has no animation
and has conflicts with my graphics card on both my computers. Openfx is difficult to model and has a bunch of other problems. Anim8or is a good modeler, easy to understand and use But lacking several additons I thgink it needs. Are Blender's user manual and tutorials up to date? Other modelers make changes in the program but not in the help files which is very frustrating.

Artist

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:09 pm

user manual is in process - it is 'mostly up to date' now

wiki.blender.org

and we have updated tutorials.

LetterRip