newbie here

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

newbie here

Post by newbie »

well that didnt take long... to hit an obstacle i mean... i cant even open the blender.app. When i click on the icon, it pops up in the doc for a split second, then goes away :?:

SirDude

Post by SirDude »

stiv

Post by stiv »

/me bets you have the wrong version of Blender for your version of the operating system.

Run blender from the command line to get nice messages.

thanks sirdude but...

Post by newbie »

i have a 3 month old Imac so i assume my video RAM is sufficient. I had my display set on millions of colors so i switched it to thousands of colors and blender still wouldn't open. I don't know what openGL is or what other apps might use it. My screen res. is 1280x800.. i think thats rather small isnt it? I'm only using the built in Imac monitor.

As for opening blender in terminal "Typing here the full path to the Blender.app and add to that; <path_to_blender.app>/Contents/MacOS/blender -p 100 100 700 500"

Ummm if i need to be a computer programmer to make blender work i might as well give up now, cuz i aint 1...

As for the rest of what that page says, i dont think i need to worry about any of it until i can at least open up blender

P.S. hey that was it stiv, thanks... i put the one blender folder in the trash and downloaded the other mac version... it works... now i wonder how many minutes it will be till i hit another obstacle

edna

Post by edna »

I don't usually post here but ...

Please don't be so negative. The very nice people at Blender.org have provided you with an extremely powerful and completely free bit of software. There are challenges with installing all software on different set-ups, and this time it was an error in your own choice of which version to download.

Have fun with Blender - you'll need to persevere to get started, as with any package that is this powerful, but the rewards are enormous. I love to see people's faces when they render their first sphere floating on a mirror!

sorry Edna

Post by newbie »

i realize it was my own error that i downloaded the wrong version. Not trying to be negative, its just that i know it will be the first of many before i can really get blender figured out and have fun with it :roll:

i read something that said blender doesnt come packaged with tutorials and thats what keeps it small which makes i sense i guess but is there any [video] tutorials people have put up on here? I find it alot easier to learn when i can see exactly what the person is doing to create whatever theyre making

thanx, newb

levon

Post by levon »

yes, check the documentation section of the web site for video tutorials

thanks levon

Post by newbie »

i found lots of tutorials, only a few video tutorials so far, but i'll keep looking. The best ones are the ones with the "next" button. That way i can view at my own pace

Toon_Scheur

Post by Toon_Scheur »

Are you sure? You must have overlooked these video tutorials:
http://www.blender3d.org/cms/Video_Tutorials.396.0.html

joeri

Post by joeri »

I think you'd better stay away from 3d.
It's not mature enough to be as wysiwyg as word.