blender and x64 bit radeon xpress 200 drivers

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

yomoyomo

blender and x64 bit radeon xpress 200 drivers

Post by yomoyomo »

Hi everyone, i've been testing my blender on my windows xp x64 platform. I'm using the newest drivers for my card, and I know it works, as 3d games work properly. However blender runs as if unaccelerated. When I run blender under 32 bit XP, it runs fine. Is there a problem of blender interfacing with 64 bit drivers? This is the official blender download by the way.

stiv

Post by stiv »

3d games on windows tend to use Direct X. Last I heard, there were no 64 bit OpenGL drivers for XP. Not that I've been paying close attention.

yomoyomo

Post by yomoyomo »

I've tested with an OpenGL program (GLExcess) and can say for certain, that I do have accelerated OpenGL under windows x64. It runs at the same speed as my other pc, which uses a radeon 9550. Non x64, just normal xp.

Ric95

Post by Ric95 »

Heh, sounds the same as my system.
This is a common problem with ATI. Ati doen't seem to take openGL seriously (Blender uses an unusual method of refreshing the screen,-correct me if I'm wrong..). On Elysun, erm.. Blender Artists as its now called, there were several threads about that, one guy even seems to have patched it by renaming a Nvidia driver to Ati, and pasting in into the Blender directiory.(crazy?..others say it worked!)
Myself, I plugged in an old Nvidia card in the slot and use that (TNT2). It has limits, but it's trouble free. :)