Better integration of BlenderNation headlines?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Milky

Better integration of BlenderNation headlines?

Post by Milky » Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:11 pm

Great thing that BlenderNation headlines starts getting implemented on the website. But I think it should be better implemented, I think it should be more of a thing that is updated all of the time instead of a news article.

B@rt

Post by B@rt » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:30 pm

Hi Milky,

I'm not sure what you mean.. The headlines update automatically whenever we post a new article on BlenderNation.

Cheers,

B@rt
BlenderNation: Fresh Blender News, Every Day

terhechte

Post by terhechte » Sun May 21, 2006 7:46 pm

I'm not sure what his intention was, but I have the feeling that the BlenderNation headlines on the blender.org start page get refreshed everytime someone visits the site, that is: without a cache. Most of the times when I visit blender.org it takes between 1-5 seconds until the blendernation headlines are loaded, while the rest of the blender.org page seems to just wait for the blendernation headlines to load. I guess that there is no caching system in place.. that could really help. like writing the links down into a txt-file and only refreshing that one on the first visit every 24 hours or so..

I just had a bit of too much wine, so I hope that the above text makes sense :)

greetings

B@rt

Post by B@rt » Mon May 22, 2006 1:09 pm

Ok, gotcha. I'm a bit surprised at the delay; our script is already cached and it only uses the javascript to load about 10 lines of HTML into the page. I'll see what I can do about the delays.

Do other people experience the same problem?

Cheers,

Bart
BlenderNation: Fresh Blender News, Every Day

terhechte

Post by terhechte » Mon May 22, 2006 8:41 pm

Ok, I had a quick glance over the html, the problem might be that the executed Javascript-File is on the blendernation server, thus if the blendernation-server needs a bit longer for it's reply, the blender.org page has to wait until the js file has been loaded.
My above-mentioned cache was referering to caching the data on the blender.org server.

greetings!

joeri

Post by joeri » Wed May 24, 2006 9:27 am

Delay of blender frontpage can get up to 7 seconds.
A pitty because I always visit blenderNation before visiting blender.org so I already know thoose headlines. Then again, the blender headlines change so little I hardly notice when they do.