Small bounty for 2 features!

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

macouno

Small bounty for 2 features!

Post by macouno » Wed May 17, 2006 1:03 pm

Ok don't get overexcited... it's nothing too big, but I have some money from a scripting job in a paypal account and figured I'd invest it in something nice.

There's 2 features I'm currently looking for. The problem might/will be that they're really no use to me unless they end up in the CVS. So that's the mayor requirement... no pay untill it's in there. I know that can be a real headache, but I'm not seeing this as a paid job, but as an incentive to make something happen.

If you have any questions or ideas feel free to post them here.

The 2 features:

1:
Internal Baking.

I wrote the BrayBaker script a while back.
It works but it'll never be clean or efficient. Have a look at what it does if you don't know what I'm talking about.

The requirements:
Basicly the idea is to make it possible to render the "skin" of a mesh to it's uv layout.
It only needs to work with the blender internal renderer.
It should work with raytracing as well. So the skin needs to be exactly as it would be when in a regular render.
Also it should not be possible for any other objects to appear in the bake (except for reflections/transparencies).
I don't think using the regular camera is an option, you may need to look deeper into the render code.

And the big one, a must for game developers... it must be possible to render the skin of a high poly object to the uv layout of a low poly one.

I have to say, and this one's important!... timmeh is working on the pynodes and it is looking like an improved form of baking shouldn't be hard to implement using that.
Which means... if he gets it to work... the bounty is his. Still I'd rather have a fully integrated internal function than having to use any form of python for this.

The bounty $150.-
2:
Export to scr

It's a simple one and I heard there is an old patch that does it already, but for some reason it got discarded.
It might be as simple as finding that patch and rewriting it a bit.

All it needs to do is take the current export to .exe and make that into a proper .scr with preview and other requirements for screensavers.
Those that aren't present when you simply rename the .exe to .scr.
I don't even care what the preview is, it can just be a black screen or a blender logo.

The bounty $50.-
I know the bounties are very modest and will never pay for the ammount of time it'll cost.
But then... this is all I can offer at this time... and I'm happy I can offer something.

epat

Post by epat » Sun May 21, 2006 12:26 am

about the screensavers - I remember reading something somewhere about that sort of thing, I may be wrong (and probably am), but I thought that if you renamed an .exe file to .scr, it has all the options and things required for screensavers anyway. I can't test though because I'm running linux (and there's no real screensaver support of any kind apart from xscreensaver, although it would be nice if Blender had some sort of default - xscreensaver compatible - options for generated runtimes). - epat.

EDIT: Just read your post properly - Sorry.
'Regret for wasted time is more wasted time.'
- Mason Cooley

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Sun May 21, 2006 2:41 am

The raybaking is on Tons todo I think for after 2.42.

LetterRip

macouno

Post by macouno » Sun May 21, 2006 12:35 pm

epat: lol... yeah it's close but no sigar.

LetterRip: if it is and he makes it happen the bounty's his as well... though I haven't heard him say anything about it yet.

macouno

Post by macouno » Mon May 22, 2006 12:50 pm

LetterRip: you were right.

This means you can all consider the internal baking bounty claimed!

Money_YaY!

Post by Money_YaY! » Mon May 22, 2006 2:23 pm

BUt what happens if Ton puts it on the back burner ? Due to new issues more important like siggrapth .. Orange stopped the UI update for a whille now.

Just think you should keep it open for someone just in case

macouno

Post by macouno » Mon May 22, 2006 10:02 pm

well yeah sure if anyone were to finish and submit and get it accepted before Ton does it... then great... but honestly... and I'm a pretty good guestimator. I don't think it would happen, and I don't want to encourage coders to waste their time on a project that is already being done by someone else.

Don't worry though... I can invest in the blender community in lots of ways ;)