Blender on Siggraph tradeshow

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

dgebel

Post by dgebel » Mon Jun 12, 2006 9:02 pm

Great news for Blender, wish I could be there!

One idea that occurred to me while looking at the booth sketches.

While an E.D. poster image may catch those "in the know", I would think about having an equally large "glam" picture of some kind to show the level of photorealism that Blender can do. Be it space hardware or bio, beauty counts. :)

spiderworm

will be there

Post by spiderworm » Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:50 am

Hey Ton,

I'll be there this year to help out with whatever I can. I can talk about documentation, promote BlenderNation, do tutorials, fetch you drinks, or whatever else.

Anyways, I need to come up with a really splendid idea to help promote. I'll let you know if I come up with one :)

spidey

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain » Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:49 pm

As this will be my first Siggraph I am planning on taking a bunch of the classes to experience that.. but I should be able to keep a day or two open for helping out at the booth if needed. I'm fairly comfortable demoing functionality in front of people and could probably bring some of the production files from my (everlasting and ongoing) animated short project FWD-REV. But should be available to help in whatever way is needed. I'll be there for the BOF day as well.

JeffreyMcGrew

Some stuff for the booth...

Post by JeffreyMcGrew » Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:07 pm

Hey all, I'm a Blender user of a different ilk (of sorts). I use Blender in my design business in combo with a CNC table we have to make stuff. Here's a blog post where we used Blender to model a wing shape that we in turn carved from solid walnut for the front of a reception desk:
http://www.becausewecan.org/node/179

I really, really love Blender, and love that it lets me model things quickly, runs anywhere, on anything, and provides my little business a lot of value in general.

Now, I wish I had the time and money to fab y'all a whole booth, like a big kit of parts that goes together like a puzzle to make the stands and such. But sadly I don't have the time right now to do that. But what I can do is make you a 3D carved sign that was modeled by Blender, or something else, sky's the limit. I can carve foam, wood, aluminum, anything 'soft' (i.e. not steel) and the table can cut something 4' x 8' x 6" (or so) big and anything bigger than that can be done, you just have to break it down into parts.

Maybe a big Blender logo? Or a character from the Orange project movie? I'm willing to kick in for materials (up to a certain limit, mind you) and shipping (again, if it's not too much) and of course the time to do it (as a kinda payback for all the use I've gotten out of Blender to date).

Looking forward to helping you all out however I can...

Jeffrey
Blender + Revit + CNC tools = Me.
www.becausewecan.org

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton » Sun Jun 18, 2006 9:47 pm

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the feedback & offers. It's very busy here.... need to get a release done in a week or so.

Will followup in personal mails to all here tomorrow!

-Ton-

rivenwanderer

Post by rivenwanderer » Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:30 am

I would love to be a demo artist--I haven't been as active at Blender recently as I'd like, being a really busy CS college student in the area, but I'd love to show off Blender's stuff to passersby and so on! I've also got some experience talking people through using Blender. (I'd really love it if I could get a pass to go, though, as I've been looking longingly towards siggraph but sort of balking at the cost.)

[EDIT: I went ahead and registered for the whole thing (since the fees were about to go up). So I'll be there regardless! I'll try to figure out how to help out Blender the most! I bet I should play with some of the neat features introduced in the last, oh, year or so :P ]
Last edited by rivenwanderer on Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

juanjavier_xxx

A `sponsoring' question.

Post by juanjavier_xxx » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:11 pm

Dear Ton:

I live in Madrid, purchased the ED DVD and enjoyed it; and have been working with Blender for the last three years almost. In fact I am on the process of releasing a short movie about life underwater. See www.acuatica.org.

I would really like to help there in Siggraph with setting up systems, installing Blender (under Debian GNU LInux, for instance) and demoing to noobs....my spoken english is fluid as well.

Pity is that Madrid is waaay distant from Boston, and I am not sure I could afford the whole plane ticket plus a place to sleep, eat and other expenses.

Is there any kind of financial support perhaps from the foundation, or any money help that many people with certain skills and willing to help from this side of the Atlantic that makes it possible for us to travel to Siggraph and have a hosting or a place to sleep?

Cheers,

Juan Javier Martínez.

juanjavier_xxx

Re: A `sponsoring' question.

Post by juanjavier_xxx » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:36 pm

juanjavier_xxx wrote:See www.acuatica.org.
It carries no dot in the end. It is simply www.acuatica.org

I apologize. Greetings,
Juanjavier Martínez.

WeirdHat

Post by WeirdHat » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:38 am

I'm up for doing some demoing.

mandhriah

I shall be more than happy to help out anyway possible.

Post by mandhriah » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:02 pm

Hi Ton,

I would be happy to help out with linux installations, and any other general service jobs that need to be done to make Blender a hit at Siggraph 2006.

Please feel free to contact me. My email should show up in my profile.

Thanks.

Mandhriah.

ton
Site Admin

Post by ton » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:33 pm

Hi,

Everyone interested to help out, or in a free ticket (tradeshow only) please just drop me a mail, goes faster than checking forums :)

ton(at)blender(dot)org

raviles

Siggraph 2006

Post by raviles » Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:15 pm

Hi,

I will be there on Thursday, Aug 3.
If I can help with setup?

Bobby