Radiosity modelling suggestion

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

credo

Radiosity modelling suggestion

Post by credo » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:00 pm

Hello there,

I'm very impressed with Blender's radiosity capability, and I use it often as a modelling tool. However, I find it offputting that it generates a model with so many subdivided faces that I have to discard the model if I want to change it in some way.

Instead of subdividing faces, would it be possible to store the new information as meta-data associated with each face? Eg, each face has a list of intersection points etc. This information would expire as soon as a particular face was modified, and radiosity calculation would need to be recalculated. That way, my beautifully designed model wouldn't be cut up into many unmanageable pieces each time I used the radiosity function.

Please let me know if I'm just being dumb and barking up the wrong tree lol.

Cheers

ysvry

Post by ysvry » Wed Jun 21, 2006 8:10 pm

no man, this is a great ideer, i might have thought of it myself, i say implement it.

credo

Post by credo » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:58 pm

Is there any formal process of requesing a feature? I might be able to code it myself, but I'm unfamiliar with Blender's code base, and I haven't had experience with such a large project before.

epat

Post by epat » Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:59 pm

I think the radiosity code in blender needs a recode anyway so it probably isn't that easy to add - but you might be able to persurwade someone to do it with a bounty if you want it that desparately!(or you could try on http://www.blenderjobs.com) -epat
'Regret for wasted time is more wasted time.'
- Mason Cooley

Toon_Scheur

Post by Toon_Scheur » Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:44 pm

I haven't used radiosity in a long time, so maybe I'm missing something. So you want to edit your mesh after the radiosity calculation? I thought that the only side effect was that everything becomes one mesh so you have to seperate them. But as far as meshes ending up subdivided.... I think I have to try that out again... but there is a replace and add mesh option.

I'll try this ( http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/ ... cy_Example ) again to see what you exactly mean.

credo

Post by credo » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:40 pm

Well, if you choose "Replace Mesh", you lose your original model, which is replaced by a heavily subdivided model that is difficult to work with. If you choose "Add Mesh", you have the difficult task of moving your original mesh out of the way and then rendering with the new mesh. Then, you must delete the new mesh and replace it with the old one if you wish to keep working. This can be a bit of a pain if you are doing frequent radiosity calculations.