Google sketchup versus blender

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

screenwriter

Google sketchup versus blender

Post by screenwriter » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:45 pm

Which one do you like the most?

Well, I find Google Sketchup very easy to use. The 3-D development is much quicker than Blender. I've tried Blender. I have no idea how to use it. They don't teach me how to built model 1.2.3 step. I have experience opening 3-D model files, but I don't know how to animate the software.

This blender software is hard to use for general audience other than experience 3-D modelist. I have great time messing with 3-D tool stuff. I can't seem to get anything out of it. In addition, I'm looking for tutoring basic model for blender video. You know what I mean... I'm talking about "Video Professor" that teach people how to use software. Yes, most experience 3-D modelist find it very easy to use. I'm pretty much want to join Blender stuff. This software is very very very hard to use.

I want to write Motion Picture Movies. I don't know how to use it. I've tried Tutor stuff. They aren't great instructor. Help me.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:02 am

1) you're asking on the wrong forum, this is the development forum

topics like this are much better on the user forum http://www.blenderartists.org/forum

2) sketchup and blender solve different problems. blender is much more capable at organics, and has significant material and animation features that sketchup doesn't have at all

[blender's also free and open source]

however, sketchup can do mechanical and architectural models like nothing else....

kroopson

Post by kroopson » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:40 am

help me
You want us to learn for you or something? Mastering program like Blender takes about 2 years of learning and mastering any app to the level required for the movie industry takes much longer. So good luck ;)

jaycun

Re: Google sketchup versus blender

Post by jaycun » Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:23 pm

screenwriter wrote:I have experience opening 3-D model files, but I don't know how to animate the software.
I want to write Motion Picture Movies. I don't know how to use it. I've tried Tutor stuff. They aren't great instructor. Help me.
You're joking, right? :roll:

Practically ANYONE can open a 3-D model file (File->Open). But I guess a start is a start. And "animating the software":?: :?: :?:

Motion Pictures? Are you wanting to make a motion picture in blender, but you don't know how to use the program? Is that the problem? Watch the video tutorials...and thank the people that took their own time and effort to make them...and share them with the rest of the blender community. If something is not covered...experiment. Or you can always read the manual on blender.org... :) But mostly, projects in blender take "dedication" (that's the secret word in 3d software...along with "determination" ;) )

And lastly, Google Sketchup and Blender are targeting two entirely different audiences. Sketchup is more a CAD program and architecture visualization software, while blender is more of an artists tool.

matos

Post by matos » Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:15 pm

its true that this isnt the right place to look for tutorials....
but i remember my first 10 inital minutes in blender (heheheheheh)
so here goes a nice link for a new comer

http://www.cdschools.org/54223045235521 ... =0&C=55205

and happy blending

artist

Post by artist » Wed Jul 12, 2006 7:32 pm

kroopson wrote:
You want us to learn for you or something? Mastering program like Blender takes about 2 years of learning and mastering any app to the level required for the movie industry takes much longer. So good luck ;)
Two years for Blender. I am new and it looks hard but no way two years.
In two months if I don't give up I will get to a point where I am comfortable with Blender. If it took two years it would not be worth learning Blender in my opinion.

artist

roofoo

Post by roofoo » Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:48 pm

Actually, at the rate that Blender gets new advanced features, even 2 years might not be long enough to really learn the software well. :wink: I'm constantly having to learn the new tools and features in each release. So don't expect any miracles!

artist

Post by artist » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:46 am

I am not saying I will be as good as you. I just think (hope) I will be able to know my way around the program. Right now i been at it for two days and I think that the interface is clumsy. It is new to me but should have been designed with the user in mind. Well, back to work. :x

artist