Ubuntu-sound don't work, and playing game crash(2.41, 2.42x)

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

mangojambojr

Ubuntu-sound don't work, and playing game crash(2.41, 2.42x)

Post by mangojambojr » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:09 pm

Well, first of all, sorry if this is not the right place to post. I ask to the moderator to change if necessary, 'couse I'm a little lost at this forum.

so ... I'm using blender in my Ubuntu6.06 (dapper), and it's dosn't work the sound: - Couldn't open audio: No available audio device

I have 2 sound cards: (lspci)
0000:00:05.0 Multimedia audio controller: C-Media Electronics Inc CM8738 (rev 10) (onboard garbage)
0000:00:0b.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Audigy (rev 03) (offboard sweet)

I CAN'T disable the onboard card, I mean, I try to disable in Bios setup (jumper free mobo sucks), but the ubuntu "says" to me: You can't cheating me, I'm seeing that card and I will use it!! o_O

Well, any way, I 'ved try disable ESD sound, put the Audigy card like the default card, disable the other card with modprobe -r snd_cmipci , setup the gstreamer-properties and change all to use ALSA in Audigy card... but, unfortunally, I've got the same message in blender terminal: Couldn't open audio: No available audio device !!!!

I try use live Kubuntu, may be artsd works... Couldn't open audio: No available audio device !!!!

I try Kurumin (a brazilian distro Knoppix based), and It works!!!!!
I preffer Ubuntu, its more "sweet" distro, and every thing works fine, it's ellegant, easy to install not usual programs...

So, how can I get blender work fine at my Ubuntu? I have no ideas! And I realy need this work to editing my videos!
Are Someone having the same problem?

Thank You in advanced!!!

SirDude

Post by SirDude » Tue Jul 11, 2006 5:57 pm

Not sure if this will help but if your trying to use audio in the sequencer and not the game engine under linux you need to start blender with:

-g noaudio

Otherwise the gameengine opens the audio driver and then you can not use
it in the sequencer.

(From your subject it sounds like your not getting audio working in the
game engine as well though so you maybe have other issues)

I would verify that you can do things like run mpg123 on a file etc...
and then go from there. If your audio card is not setup correctly it wont work in blender.

mangojambojr

Post by mangojambojr » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:14 pm

thank you for your answer ...

so... my sound card is ok ... I can hear mp3, videos, etc ...

in blender, when I click ALT+A, in sequencer ou 3D window, do not make any sound loaded in sequencer, and apear thsi message in terminal!! :(

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit » Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:37 pm

Hi, to get sound in dapper working (albeit with a different setup) check this bug report in dapper
might do the trick.

basse

Post by basse » Tue Jul 25, 2006 4:31 pm

I have sound blaster live, and was suffering same problem. turned out that after 2.37a there was one dma-initilization added to blender that didn't work for me. so after commenting that out in source sound works perfectly, just like it did in 2.37a :)

anyway, if you don't get it working, let me know, and i can borrow you my binary, might work..

.b

Mats78

Post by Mats78 » Wed Jul 26, 2006 6:35 am

Also check that all packages are installed. I had to install libsdl1.2debian-all instead of libsdl1.2debian-alsa (or something, don't exactly remember =)).

Cheers,
Mats

kidb

Post by kidb » Sat Sep 02, 2006 2:13 pm

Mats78 wrote: I had to install libsdl1.2debian-all instead of libsdl1.2debian-alsa (or something, don't exactly remember =)).
I installed too:
libsdl-mixer1.2
libsdl-sound1.2

Sound in sequencer works.

bolbol71

Post by bolbol71 » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:37 am

your sound card is ok , you can hear mp3, videos etc...