Rendering speed under Windows and Linux

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

kroopson

Rendering speed under Windows and Linux

Post by kroopson » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:10 pm

Can anyone give me any info about rendering speeds in windows and in linux? I know that under linux it is quite faster but I don't remember how big is the difference (if it oscilates around about 10% then it would make it worth to give it a shot with a heavy animations rendering).

mikasaari

Post by mikasaari » Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:28 pm

Hi,

Using search "Rendering times linux windows" gave few hits, but one thread at least is worth of reading http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6919

I would say that comparing windows and linux rendering times is extremely tough. There are huge amount of linux distributions, and different distributions effect directly to the rendering times. Also if you are using compiled kernel, libraries, ... for your own processor, effects as well negatively or positively, depending on how did you compile the code. Also did you use pre-compiled blender or did you compile it yourself.

I think both windows and unix in the same machine could come to pretty much same result with optimized compilation. Though I am not familiar with Windows so not sure.

Mika