specs of systems used for the Orange Project?

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

RunsWithScissors

specs of systems used for the Orange Project?

Post by RunsWithScissors » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:10 am

I watched the making of part of Elepahants Dream and they said that they used AMD CPU with Linux OS

So my question is this perhaps Ton or one of the other guys can say what flavor of linux it is.

is it x64 or reg x86?
What type of graphics cards were used for your project?

I'm getting ready to build a linux machine for blender and I want a configuration that is production proven.

So the more light that can be shed on what was used the better,

Thank you for your time in advance,

J Barnette

z3r0_d

Re: specs of systems used for the Orange Project?

Post by z3r0_d » Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:35 am

RunsWithScissors wrote:I watched the making of part of Elepahants Dream and they said that they used AMD CPU with Linux OS

So my question is this perhaps Ton or one of the other guys can say what flavor of linux it is.

is it x64 or reg x86?
What type of graphics cards were used for your project?
perhaps that was for render nodes? the orange blog mentioned serveral times that they were using osx on powermacs [the entires were on max memory allocation and switching to mmap, and texture painting using a variation of the gimp that supported pressure sentitivity in tablets]....

the production shots however don't seem to feature macs significantly [if at all]
http://orange.blender.org/media-gallery

basse

Post by basse » Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:01 pm

we used 3 linux amd dual processor workstations on 32 bit ubuntu os.
normal nvidia card, (can't remember the exact brand, but it wasn't anything super special).
we also had 2 g5 macs with osx.
and one sun station, running also ubuntu.

the linux stations were "ok", but nothing special. i don't know if it was the graphics card or the motherboard or what, but we had lockups every now and then (total lockups, not just crashes).. so to be quite honest, i was happy to get back to my stable home compu :) (which runs on debian, and has nvidia card, amd processors, soundblaster card etc.. pretty similar.. but for some reason doesnt ever lock up :) )

.b

RunsWithScissors

Post by RunsWithScissors » Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:32 pm

Very interesting. Could you recomend a version of linux and hardware combo that runs Blender well?

How did blender perform on the Macs throughout the project? Is that a rout that you would recomend?

basse

Post by basse » Thu Aug 03, 2006 4:42 pm

well, this is a matter of taste.

i run linux myself. and would naturally recommend that.
but if you ask matt (broken) for example, he would say use mac.

mac osx stations worked very nicely in the studio. there was some advantages on having them there: they supported better our printer, and made encoding movies a bit easier. but also caused headaches: gimp was slow and tablets pressure sensitiviness didn't work.

i am not that technically savvy, so i can't recommend really any specifical motherboard.. but i would buy dual amd processor of some kind, and motherboard that fits to it :) 2/4 gigs of memory, and nice nvidia card with dual monitor support. and ofcourse two 19" monitors that fit into those nvidia dual outputs. heh..

for linux distro.. well ubuntu is nice. and i think 32bit version still.. since blender doesn't support the 64bit yet .. (someone correct me here if i am wrong)

.b

RunsWithScissors

Post by RunsWithScissors » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:47 am

That is very interesting. Were the Tablets not Wacom? and if they were was it just a mac/Gimp issue with the tablet? Becasue I have a wacom tablet and a mac using Photoshop and it works great.

At work I have a:

Dell Precision 470
Dual Xeon 3.2HT 2MB Each
4Gb DDR2 533
Nvidia Quadro 3400 256MB PCI-X
Dual Boot WinXP32 and WinXP64

This is what I'm using to learn Blender. I'm fixing to build a new home system though and I want something that runs blender well as I want to move towards it being my main 3D app.

We use Maya at work. But Now that Autodesk has already started their crap it is only a matter of time before they run Maya into the ground.

WAs thinking about getting a MAc for the house but not sure now. May Just save the money and build something

matt_e

Post by matt_e » Fri Aug 04, 2006 3:45 am

RunsWithScissors wrote:That is very interesting. Were the Tablets not Wacom? and if they were was it just a mac/Gimp issue with the tablet? Becasue I have a wacom tablet and a mac using Photoshop and it works great.
It's Gimp.

As basse said, it's a matter of taste. Blender is so similar across platforms that such a decision would really depend on what *else* you want to do with the computer.

schdeffan

Post by schdeffan » Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:09 pm

RunsWithScissors wrote: WAs thinking about getting a MAc for the house but not sure now. May Just save the money and build something
I use a MacBook Pro now for some months (2x2.0GHz, 2GB Ram). Blender runs very nicely on it. The Core Duo CPU is very fast for rendering, from some tests I did (with that tank scene, it takes about 2:20 Minutes) I'd say it is as fast as the workstation you use at work, as long as the memory limit isn't reached (the book only supports a maximum of 2GB). The ATI X1600 it uses is not that bad also.

There are some problems with menus and lassoes on the MacMini and the MacBook (not Pro) as they use the Intel Chipset graphics and Apple seems to have some OpenGL troubles with these. But MacBook Pro and iMac don't have these problems as they use ATI graphics

The Intel successors of the PowerMac are soon to be anounced. They are expected to use the Core 2 from Intel, which is again a bit faster (and supports 64 bit, for thoss who care). It'll feature ATI Graphics as well.

One downside for the Intel Mac is that not all Software is ported to Intel yet, most importantly for you Photoshop (the whole Creative Suite to be precise). The PPC version works using Rosetta (PPC CPU emulation) and it isn't too slow; about half the native speed. I use CS2 at home with a Wacom, it works OK. But on large images you sometimes get slowdowns. CS3 is expected in the beginning of 2007, that'll support Intel natively.

Nevertheless I didn't regret the switch for a second.

Stephan