looking for a simple file format that supports UV textures

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Jin

looking for a simple file format that supports UV textures

Post by Jin »

hi there!

I need to make some models for a game, but the company producing it works with 3D-Max. so my problem now is - I have to export the models into something that Max can read.

afaik the blender vrml implementetion does not export uv textures, so I will have to write something myself - and here the question:
do you guys know some simple format (simple in the sence that coding an exporter for it would not be too difficult) and that can be read by Max? no fancy stuff, only mesh and uv texture coordinates would be enough

thanks,
Jin

endi

Post by endi »

Hey, we do that! We work on a PS2 game, and I use Blender, but other 3d artist using MAX. So I need to convert my models to MAX.
I use an OBJ export-import script (python) in Blender. And I convert the OBJ files to 3DS files with Wings3d. This is a good modeller, but I use it for conversion. It makes the best convertion, because this program not converts the quads to triangles.
And, of course, the UV coordinates is exported fine.

The Python OBJ export/import script is foundable on the net (maybe Elysiun forum).

Sorry for my bad english.

wavk

Post by wavk »

Hi, endi and Jin, I've got an even simpler option for you both. I had the same trouble about a year ago. 3DS Max's VRML import and Blender's VRML export seem to match perfectly. In fact, 3ds max is the only app I know of which imports both quads and textures completely right! Give it a try.

Have fun,

Wybren van Keulen
Funny Farm

Jin

Post by Jin »

uhm... well I tried both now - the OBJ export and importing to Wings3D and blender VRML1 export - in both cases I could not see my applied UV texture. am I missing something? do I have to edit the exported files by hand afterwars? I see no reference to the texture.jpg in them
thanks,

Jin

IngieBee

Post by IngieBee »

If you export to obj, you can convert to many file formats including 3ds, etc... with Accutrans. You can try out a full functioning version (which does not expire either) at http://www.micromouse.ca . If you like it though, he does request that you pay the $20.00 (US) fee, and in fact that's really cheap.

If you do decide to use it, please just let me know if you need any help, I'd be glad to.

Ingie

Jin

Post by Jin »

thanks for the hint, but my problem so far has been that I was not able to export UV texture data to any format! the OBJ that was saved out of blender/with the obj script did not seem to have any UV data in it

so the converter from obj to 3ds would be step2, unfortunately I am still stuck at step1 - getting my stuff out of blender in any format that supports UV textures :)

OTO

Post by OTO »

Hello

I have exported a low poly model with a 512x512 UV texture in it, to VRML,
and opened it in Max 4.2.
It works quite fine, but...now i have the all texture in each face??!!
Some tips to fix this???
Thanks
António

thorax

To export UV textures you have to have UV corrdinates

Post by thorax »

You will not be able to use UV coordinates for
NURBS and dump them out to VRML. Blender doesn't support
NURBS output in VRML, and will not export UV texturing for
NURBS. If you are using polygons, to add UV textures to the
polygon, select your polygon object, tap "f" to turn on face mode,
type "u" to select mapping method and "use window" ..
Then go to the file pull down menu, and save to VRML..
Look in the VRML file you should find a text block named "Texture2 Vertices". that is your UV coordinates.. It may or may not store the name
of the image file , it may not store the material names, but darnit if you don't have UV texture coordinates..

yoshi252

Post by yoshi252 »

I don't know if you still need this, but I recently wrote an export script that exports a mesh from Blender to the .obj format.
This script also supports UV-Coordinates.
You can download the script at
http://home.t-online.de/home/hstremlau/objexport.py

I hope this helps ...
Last edited by yoshi252 on Tue Mar 04, 2003 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OTO

Post by OTO »

Hello yoshi252

thank you for the help, but....i've tried your script in both
2.25/2.26 and i've got an errror in line 88- list index out of range???

Any idea about this??
Bye
António

yoshi252

Post by yoshi252 »

Well, I tried to export some quite big models and I'm not able to reproduce the error...
Mabe you can send me a file that triggers the error, so that I can fix it :?:

You can send the Model ( < 5MB ) to torsten@stremlau.de

Hope this helps...

Update:
I think I know what caused the error and I think I've fixed it, but I'm not sure as I cannot reproduce the error...
I updated the file on the server and I it would be nice if you could test the script again

endi

Post by endi »

Now I found a wrml2.0 export script for Blender 2.25. It works fine with 3DSMAX. I have one problem: MAX can't load the vertex colours.
But the UVs are fine.

Author of the srcipt:
Rick Kimball rick@vrmlworld.net
You can download it:
http://kimballsoftware.com/blender/

OTO

Post by OTO »

Hi yoshi252

i've tried the new version of your script and it works very well!!!
Thank you!
Bye
António