Problems Getting Blender to work... help!

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Horus

Problems Getting Blender to work... help!

Post by Horus »

Everytime I try to get Blender to start (by double clicking the application) it just fails to open.

This is what I get from Crash reporter

dyld: /Users/Horus/Desktop/Blender/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/blender can't open library: /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/Python (No such file or directory, errno = 2)

I'm running a Mac PowerPC G3 on OSX 10.3.9, and I'm trying to run blender-2.42a-OSX-10.3-py2.4-powerpc...

(aka Mac OS X PPC Python 2.4, 10.3+ (10.3 MB) )

The dmg itself worked properly though.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d »

either install python 2.4 [it is not installed by default] [using fink? I have no idea]

or download/install the python 2.3 version of blender.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip »

you can install python 2.4 off of the python website (don't use fink).

Or you can download the blender version that is compatible with your system and uses python 2.3.

LetterRip

Horus

Post by Horus »

Well I downloaded Python 2.4.3 and tried to run Blender and still it bounces once or twice in the bar and still nothing.

This is what I get from Crashreporter

dyld: /blender/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/blender Undefined symbols:
/blender/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/blender undefined reference to ___stderrp expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
/blender/blender.app/Contents/MacOS/blender undefined reference to ___stdoutp expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib

Any help?

jedrzej_s

Post by jedrzej_s »

This post is on wrong forum...

Horus

Post by Horus »

And which is the right forum? (I wouldn't of posted here if it was clear which forum is the "Can't get Blender to work Forum".

jedrzej_s

Post by jedrzej_s »

@ Horus:
Here is forum for Blender users:
http://blenderartists.org/forum/

Regards :)

MareviQ

Post by MareviQ »

@ jedrzej_s:
that forum deals with problems regarding artwork mainly, not software problems.

It is divided in 5 parts:
General Forums
not much hope but let's check:
- News & Discussion ... nope, rather not if the post doesn't belong here
- Off-topic Chat ... don't think so
- Python & Plugins ... no, python works already so that's not it
- Game Engine ... definately not

Artwork
the title says it all, I won't even bother with the forums there

Support
This sounds promising, doesn't it?
- Tutorials ... rather not
- Basics & Interface ... although I consider running a program one of the basics but still not here
- Modeling ... nope
- Texturing & Lighting ... rather not
- Composition, Visual Effects & Rendering ... not here
- Animation ... wrong
- Other Software ... maybe... if blender is considered "other" ... or Mac OS X... but after visiting I have a feeling it was a false hope
- Website & Forum ... nope, thankfully these two work

Contests
Not unless you organize a contest "who figures out why blender on OS X 10.3.x broke at version 2.42 gets a prize"

Archive
Not in here either...

As you can see, there is no correct forum to post about blender bugs. And this obviously is a bug (not in blender itself but a problem with incompability between what the package claims to be and what it actually is... I have a nagging feeling that will run on Mac OS X 10.4.x ... but no way to test it)
And thankfully I was creative enough to visit projects.blender.org as there is a link to bugzilla... which is found nowwhere else. So don't be suprised that people come here to post their problems concerning running blender. I'll check if a bug was already submitted and if not I'll submit it as I have the same problem myself. (My thread with the same problem)[/url]

jedrzej_s

Post by jedrzej_s »

@ MareviQ:

I was thought about this place in artist forum:

Support
- Basics & Interface

OK. Bug tracker would be the best place for this trouble... ;). Here is link to Bug tracker:
http://projects.blender.org/tracker/?gr ... 9&atid=125

Regards

stiv

Post by stiv »

The most common problem in getting Blender to run under OSX is a mismatch between the installed version of Python and the version of Python that Blender was built with. They must match. The Python forum on blenderartists.org is a good place for dealing with this since it is a user problem and not a developer issue.
I'm running a Mac PowerPC G3 on OSX 10.3.9, and I'm trying to run blender-2.42a-OSX-10.3-py2.4-powerpc
Do G4 binaries run on the G3?

Also there is a known bug in one of the OSX versions ( 10.3.x ? ) that keeps blender from running.

disclaimer: not a Mac weenie

MareviQ

Post by MareviQ »

@stiv:
This is no longer a python issue - as you might have noticed both Horus and me have the correct python version. Besides, blender 2.41 for python 2.4 runs correctly on my system. It also is not specific to the G3 as I have a G5 and the problem remains. It is a problem with this specific package of blener (2.41 for python 2.4 runs, so does 2.42 for python 2.3 and yet 2.42 for python 2.4 does not).

@Horus:
Use the blender 2.42 for python 2.3 for the time being. That's the only version working on Mac OS X 10.3.9, regardless of which version of python you have installed

darksid

Animation

Post by darksid »

The only thing i cant get to work is that i keep clicng "playbck animation"and it is not doing anything.?I did a tutorial recently(10-20-06)and now it wont let me play back animations. :x