Using AI for animation and modelig

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

elander

Using AI for animation and modelig

Post by elander » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:27 pm

Is there anyone working on AI and artifical life features to add to Blender?

This would be very useful for animating a large number of objects without having to tweek them one by one.

Heres some example scenes:

- an army in motion of hundred of soldiers with a group AI controling their movement

- several flocs of birds AI animated

- a fire in the jungle with hundreds of animals running away and trying to avoid hting each other or bumping into a tree

UglyMike

Re: Using AI for animation and modelig

Post by UglyMike » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:27 pm

They really should rename this forum to "Developer News and Chat". A clearer link to the user help forums would also be nice. Obviously these things are not clear to a lot of people....
elander wrote:Is there anyone working on AI and artifical life features to add to Blender? This would be very useful for animating a large number of objects without having to tweek them one by one.
Well, if one had done a minimum of effort (like searching for things like "AI" or "Massive") one would have found BlenderPeople, Harkyman's ongoing quest to provide just that! It's already in a very nice state (although it uses it's own blender version). Some (lots!) interaction animations might make it look even better
elander wrote: - several flocks of birds AI animated
Now this is a lot simpler since there is no floor constraint and their interaction is simple (ie stay more or less together). That's probably why boïd-like programs have existed like forever and that Blender python scripts for this have existed for years as well.

Nice ideas, Elander, but not very original, even within Blende's scope.

I understand that this reply might seem almost rude, but please don't take it personally It just seems to me like a post without any background check (like saying "Hey guys! Why don't we put in Subdivision modeling in Blender. That will allow easier creation of organic forms! Whoot!")

Man, I'm gonna get creamed for this one for sure...

joeri

Post by joeri » Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:22 am

Well UglyMike I'm not sure it's creaming.

Did you try AI on this site? I did and got this:
"No topics or posts met your search criteria"
I did not try AI on google. And I also did not try "Harkyman".

The not clear structure of the site and the not documenting user questions on this site, sort of asks for user questions that might get answers on other sites.

UglyMike

Post by UglyMike » Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:04 am

joeri wrote:Did you try AI on this site? I did and got this:
"No topics or posts met your search criteria"
Nice try, no banana...
Using the Search function in the Forum section of the left navigation bar and typing "artificial intelligence" DOES bring up quite a number of hits, 2 of which "MASSIVE like AI program" and "Behaviour AI" are right on target and contain direct links to Harkyman's Blenderpeople. Like I said, a BASIC check brings the required info.

Indeed looking fore AI brings up nothing. But why would you look for an exclamation of pain when looking for crowd behavior simulation? :lol:

(yeah, yeah , I said AI or Massive. Humble apologies. Should have said Artificial Intelligence or Massive)

joeri

Post by joeri » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:16 am

UglyMike wrote:Indeed looking fore AI brings up nothing. But why would you look for an exclamation of pain when looking for crowd behavior simulation? :lol:
Did you try crowd behavior simulation ?
Why not just give the answer if you know it and don't if you don't know it?

elander

Re: Using AI for animation and modelig

Post by elander » Wed Sep 13, 2006 3:04 am

UglyMike you haven't answered my question. I was asking if someone (a blender dev thus the reason why it is in these forum) was planning or at least has shown signs of interest about adding this to Blender in the future. I wasn't trying to tell anyone something that is widely known. Ok so maybe this wasn't very explicit but try not to look like a dumbass HuglyMike. Don't take it personaly.

"Now this is a lot simpler"

That was just an example. What would happen if you wanted birds to react to a more complex situation like for example, all birds are in a big tree, jumping from branch to branch and exibiting tipical bird social behaviors, then an hunter shots his gun, some birds fall, all scater in all directions away from the hunter and regroup far away.

BlenderPeople only works with people and in limited circunstances. I was talking about generic AI support, like a rule based engine incorporated into Blender objects and a new type of Blender object called an Actor or Agent which would be controled by the rule-based-engine.

LetterRip

Post by LetterRip » Wed Sep 13, 2006 5:25 am

No there are not any core developer plans that I'm aware of to add AI directly into blender of the nature you describe, especially not in the near term.

LetterRip

elander

Post by elander » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:53 am

Thanks for the reply.