ATTN: to those programmers implementing ODE !!!

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Doogs

ATTN: to those programmers implementing ODE !!!

Post by Doogs »

Blenderfoundation,

I was testing out underground files with ode built into blender, and blender crashed on some of my games. I am just wondering, will we be able to import our 2.25 games we've made mostly with no bugs???

doogs

kAinStein

Re: ATTN: to those programmers implementing ODE !!!

Post by kAinStein »

Doogs wrote:Blenderfoundation,

I was testing out underground files with ode built into blender, and blender crashed on some of my games. I am just wondering, will we be able to import our 2.25 games we've made mostly with no bugs???

doogs
I was wondering the same. Collision detection works different as far as I saw. I tested making a simple plane and a sphere that should bounce on the plane. It only worked when i extruded the plane to a box. There is also need of a defined world. That can make importing older games to the new engine really stressy I believe. I didn't try that but if doogs says so I think I give it a try importing some stuff to see where the problem is.
I think that there should be something like some presets for the dynamics if nothing is defined and because many games just have simple planes (withou extruded walls) for mazes and stuff I think the 'old' behaviour should also be implemented as default. Would make life less an agony! ;)
Probably the plans are even further than I can see and this is nothing new...
But it makes me happy that there are people out there working on the game engine and I'm am surely not the only one! :D

Saluk

Post by Saluk »

All the game logic and most of the python should work just fine, but these are probably some of the reasons the ODE support wasn't available yet for 2.26:)

Physics will be different, but they should default to using the sphere on imported blender games, because thats what they were made with.

The ODE I played with didn;t allow you to choose a shape, it always just used the entire object mesh. This is a cause for some slowdown on my laptop:)

It would probably be faster when there is some support for other shapes.

Also, it shouldn't be too difficult to increase the world size definition to allow for old games with big worlds to work. I think it's only the ground that is defined?

Anyway, just some things developers should think about:)

Doogs

Post by Doogs »

saluk

what would you know about gameblender anyways ???????

*wink*

doogs

yamyam

Post by yamyam »

Doog, Do you make your blender with game engine by yourself? :P

The developers of the Blender Foundation are just volunteer. They are paid no money from users...Don't blame them for their work.
You are not a custamer of the Blender Foundation. Don't forget it.

And, Saluk is one of the contributer of gameBlender community. Don't make a fool of him.

- Yamyam.

RiNiK

Post by RiNiK »

yamyam, you missed the *wink*
:) doogs was just kidding...
(I think so) :)

Saluk

Post by Saluk »

Hehe, doogs is always kidding:)

He is a user, like me, and is just curious as to how well our games will be able to upgrade to ODE. I'm curious as well, and it gives us something to discuss while waiting for development to come together.

Hehe, I have 2 pages of my paper written doogs. Only 8 more to go! It'll be a cinch.....

yamyam

Post by yamyam »

Ok, I understand.
I'm sorry for that, Doogs.