For the love of God...

General discussion about the development of the open source Blender

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

mpan3

For the love of God...

Post by mpan3 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 4:34 am

Someone please add a icon that links to blenderartist.org/forum to the blender.org homepage and rename the current 'forum' button to 'developers forum' or something. This will save joeri, z3r0_d, LetterRip et al from telling every second poster that they posted on the wrong forum.

The change will also give more potential blender users a much warmer reception, over at blenderartist

joeri

Post by joeri » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:20 am

I've tried for 3 years to figure out this weird policy. But failed.

Any attempt to get some foot into the website structure or design has been waved away with "O we've already done that" and "Contact so and so..."
(kastje naar de muur as we call that in dutch)

Meanwhile the forum is changed back to it's original uglyness by "independant" Timothy without notice and with the reason "it's easier to update". (Technical reasons rule the developers world). The gallery is abandomed.

They let nobody in, but meanwhile leave to do their own things.
All signs point to a sinking ship? (Wiki is looking great though).

I've been hearing rumours about a new design... Maybe that's why there is nothing "happening"?

It's just not important; all 'fun' is at irc, this is just the plastered facade. Ssskk!, be gone!

James Morris

Post by James Morris » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:17 pm

joeri: I found the solution. We must boycott the forum. Yes, post an official boycott terms notice and get a few key blenderheads to boycott blender.org until they fix the forum problem.

Sorry for getting a little cynical, but its just pathetic. I mean, it would be better to just go ahead and have a link to the Max or maya help than to have so many helpless noobs get chased off the property.

Oh wait, yeah, the fabled "redisign", my bad I should just sit back and wait for that. Ok, fine.

SirDude

Post by SirDude » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:35 pm

I'll bug Ton and see if I can't get access to the main page, he's missing
in action for a bit though because of the move so may take a little while...

mpan3

Post by mpan3 » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:39 pm

Oh man, I actually laughed out loud at Jame's post. IMO blender.org had always been a bit stagnant, slow forums, month-old galleries. I have no objection against boycott since I seldom come here anyways. They key is really to get them 'daily-posters' to stop posting...

Meanwhile, let's ask the blender.org maintainance crew nicely that we want a link to blenderartist.org and maybe more updates?

stiv

Post by stiv » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:42 pm

We must boycott the forum
If you can get the users to boycott forums here the problem would be solved. Heh.

B@rt

Post by B@rt » Thu Oct 05, 2006 5:15 pm

joeri wrote:The gallery is abandomed.
not anymore! Groo is now the new maintainer: 'Blender Gallery Updated'

Have fun,

B@rt
BlenderNation: Fresh Blender News, Every Day

jedrzej_s

Re: For the love of God...

Post by jedrzej_s » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:07 pm

mpan3 wrote:Someone please add a icon that links to blenderartist.org/forum to the blender.org homepage and rename the current 'forum' button to 'developers forum' or something. This will save joeri, z3r0_d, LetterRip et al from telling every second poster that they posted on the wrong forum.

The change will also give more potential blender users a much warmer reception, over at blenderartist
YES, this is very important !!! I think blender.org should have two banner-links:
- Blender Artists Forums
- Development Forums

P.S. Plumiferos banner-link and Elephants Dream banner-link should be one under second. When we would have order...

P.S. 2: In Blender "world" I see disorder and some strange solution... :( . Blender need professional solution in promote (on website)...

JWalton

Post by JWalton » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:51 pm

joeri wrote:It's just not important; all 'fun' is at irc, this is just the plastered facade. Ssskk!, be gone!
somethings never change :)

joeri

Post by joeri » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:40 pm

B@rt wrote:
joeri wrote:The gallery is abandomed.
not anymore! Groo is now the new maintainer: 'Blender Gallery Updated'

Have fun,

B@rt
I saw the video interview, nice. And good news, good to see people step up and start to act.

sten

Post by sten » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:27 pm

who said there wasn't any link to Blenderartists.org/forum (and other communities for that matter) ??

http://blender.org/forum/ just look at the top of that page!

mpan3:
your first sentence starting this thread, doesn't make any sence to me :) or am I just totally wrong ;) ??

:roll:

SirDude

Post by SirDude » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:48 pm

ztonzy the point to the link is, the majority of users are just that users, not developers. The link on the main page should probably be for users and have the developers forum somewhere else and or have both.

It would cut down on the noise on the developer forums. And for the most part the developers are willing to hunt around to find something while users in general want a quick fix.

Hopefully after things settle down from the conference the new page will be out and this will no longer be an issue. (Ton told me to wait and I didn't get access to the page) ;)

sten

Post by sten » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:56 pm

hi SirDude,

I know the problem exactly :) since long back...
Now I also know exactly what you mean.

The old blender.org/forum had a list at the left where which you could pick a link of subject.
There's a button at top saying "community" but I guess normal users/artists are blind ;)
and some of them are blind over at BA posting threads in wrong forum as well.

Maybe "community" could be swapped with "developers" instead :shock:

or not... :?

joeri

Post by joeri » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:34 pm

I don't think image artists are well known for their excellence in reading, I find that a rather stuppid remark to make. Now writters yes, but painters; no.

The layout of the forum index page is just designed very well. There are some publishing rules that adverticers etc use to create a page and yes these forum pages stink. They are probably not created by designers but by (php) programmers. All nice and fine on a developers site. But when you go to siggraph and have the biggest booth in town advertising BLENDER then don't expect all visiting artists to try www.blenderartists.org as a first...

So a general newbe will hit FORUM on the homepage and 'scans' the pretty 'default' looking page to find the NEWS&CHAT in bold with a bright page in front of it pretty easely...
And the Interface & Tools is in the Blender functionality forums, also sounds like a good forum to post to me. O wait, I'm suppost to know this is a programmers site? For programmers only? Weird, doesn't it have an artists gallery and a feature list? No it's only the forum that's for programmers only, but it's not stated anywhere.