Is my rig sufficient to do lots of complicated rendering?

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Lunaris

Is my rig sufficient to do lots of complicated rendering?

Post by Lunaris »

Hi,

I know I should already know this BUT..............................

Is my comp good enough?

ATI Radeon HD 3870 X2
Intel Core2 Quad CPU @2.4 GHz
4 GB RAM
32 bit OS

Thanks,
Lunaris
Cheers!

SirTwilight

Post by SirTwilight »

My rig is almost exactly the same (except I use nVidia and my OS is 64bit). I does the job, but if you're planning to do anything really complicated, I am afraid it will not be enough... I made a rendering test a couple of weeks ago (don't remember the resolution) and it took about an hour to render one frame... At that rate, I could render about a second worth of animation each day (24 hours nonstop)... Clearly that's unacceptable for me...

Got to get me a renderfarm... ;-)

Lunaris

Post by Lunaris »

LOL, yeah, I think pixar said it takes them like 3 years to do their whole movies...

I wish I could afford their setup...

Lunaris
Cheers!

stiv

Post by stiv »

You can look at this problem in two ways:

Technical POV:

Basically, do less.

Render at a smaller resolution. If your target audience is YouTube, rendering 2K frames is overkill.

Turn off expensive features like ray tracing and fancy lighting.

Business POV:

Throw money at the problem and it goes way. Beg, borrow or buy more/faster computers.

Rent time on a commercial render farm. ResPower is one that is Blender-friendly and relatively cheap. Disclaimer: never used them, heard good things.

lifeafter2am

Post by lifeafter2am »

stiv wrote:You can look at this problem in two ways:

Technical POV:

Basically, do less.

Render at a smaller resolution. If your target audience is YouTube, rendering 2K frames is overkill.

Turn off expensive features like ray tracing and fancy lighting.

Business POV:

Throw money at the problem and it goes way. Beg, borrow or buy more/faster computers.

Rent time on a commercial render farm. ResPower is one that is Blender-friendly and relatively cheap. Disclaimer: never used them, heard good things.
This begs the question, with CUDA coming out and the speed increases we can see with that ..... what will be more important in the short-term future: super-powered video card, or more cores and sheer processing power?

I just built a new 8 core 2 processor rig, but now am wondering if I should have dropped that money into an ever better video card instead of the extra 4 cores.
masakatsu agatsu

psullie

Post by psullie »

OpenCL is more likely as CUDA is limited to NVIDIA cards.

Rendering improvements are earmarked for Beta 4 so I reckon your rig is good for sometime yet, also I don't think your 8 cores was a wasted investment as every bit helps.

lifeafter2am

Post by lifeafter2am »

psullie wrote:OpenCL is more likely as CUDA is limited to NVIDIA cards.

Rendering improvements are earmarked for Beta 4 so I reckon your rig is good for sometime yet, also I don't think your 8 cores was a wasted investment as every bit helps.
Sorry, I meant OpenCL, I don't know why I typed CUDA.

By "marked for Beta 4" you mean that we will see improvements to current rendering, or the inclusion of OpenCL technologies? I was looking for information on this, and if you have a road-map link I love it. :)
masakatsu agatsu

psullie

Post by psullie »

I don't know if there are any specific plans for OpenCL but in various posts and blogs I've read I hear that the Blender Dev's are looking into it. Also as its open source and offers considerable improvements it makes sense.

The 2.50 page on this site lists Beta 4 as the stage of developing rendering and compositing, also as the development of 2.5 is linked to the Durian project I believe that this coincides with their own rendering needs.

Just my 2c