Renderman Support Started

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Panther

Post by Panther » Sat May 03, 2003 9:06 pm

Hi Green... How's your RenderMan support coming along ???

I see a lot of people argueing about the different RenderMan renderers that are availible, but nobody has yet mentioned YafRay ( http://www.yafray.org ) - Is there a reason for this ???

WavK has already created a 'Shader Tool' called Crafter, which is compatible with YafRay and also has plans to implement it into Blender too !!!

Maybe the 2 of you can create the definitive Blender RenderMan support together - Just a thought :wink:

Jamesk

Post by Jamesk » Sun May 04, 2003 9:47 am

Panther wrote:nobody has yet mentioned YafRay ( http://www.yafray.org ) - Is there a reason for this ???
I'm not Green, but he would have answered:

'The reason is that YafRay is not at all a RenderMan compliant renderer'

Panther

Post by Panther » Sun May 04, 2003 1:42 pm

Hi Jamesk, thanks for the fast response

What can I say... I'm an idiot !!! :oops:

Do you know which free ( for commercial & non-commercial use ) RenderMan renderers is best ???

Many thanks in advance !!!

Eric

Post by Eric » Sun May 04, 2003 2:34 pm

3delight is supposed to be very good, free for non-commercial use and limited scale commercial use. http://www.3delight.com

Aqsis is a completely free (GPL) renderman compatible renderer. http://www.aqsis.com

dittohead

Post by dittohead » Tue May 06, 2003 3:42 am

this may not be where i chould be posting this at, but i'll do it anyway.

i can render from the command line just fine, but i get this whenever i try to render from tuhopuu:

sh: line 1: renderdl: command not found
or
sh: line 1: shaderdl: command not found
or
sh: line 1: tdlmake: command not found

i installed 3delight as per the manual, and as i said, renderng from the commnd line is fine(bash).

any help would be greatly apprciated.
dittohead

cekuhnen

Post by cekuhnen » Wed May 07, 2003 2:08 am

so you use bash for 3delight.

i would say when blender cannot render into 3deligth than bledner is not using bash.

set up the enviroment variables for 3delight for the same cammand line system blender is using.

eicke

dittohead

Post by dittohead » Wed May 07, 2003 4:45 am

does anyone know what system it's using?
dittohead

jmerritt

Post by jmerritt » Mon Sep 01, 2003 10:35 am

Hi Everyone,

Just thought I'd post a message to this thread to "bring it to the top of the stack" again...

How is RIB export progressing?

Thanks, :-)

Jonathan Merritt.

Rhs_CG

Post by Rhs_CG » Sun Sep 07, 2003 1:16 am

A very good Renderman Compliant renderer is Pixie. Get it at pixie.sourceforge.net. I'm

jmerritt

Post by jmerritt » Fri Sep 12, 2003 2:07 am

Hi Rhs_CG,

I think we missed the last part of your message. :(

Pixie is quite good. It has lots of different hiders, and among them is a raytracer (yipeee!). However, it appears to be a one-man project (take a look at its SourceForge project page). This is bad because if that one guy quits (or finishes his PhD or whatever he's doing), then the project may founder. I can also crash it quite easily with complex RMan scenes (esp. cubic curves and subdiv meshes, which are my current bread-and-butter!!!), but I can't seem to create a simple scene that will make it crash. It has no SourceForge mailing lists either, so it's rather developer-unfriendly overall.

Another option is Aqsis http://www.aqsis.com/ (also a SourceForge project, btw). Aqsis has a very open policy toward developers, and the project admin (Paul Gregory) is very friendly and approachable. Although most of the Aqsis developers are asleep, we do occasionally contribute sometimes, and there's almost (dare I say it) a community.

Any news on RenderMan within Blender? I noticed in the latest front page news that Yafray got a mention, but no RenderMan export was listed. Yafray is fantastic, but I was hoping for RenderMan support due to the speed of REYES and programmable RenderMan shaders. I'm working on several projects where Yafray just isn't practical in terms of speed or versatility.

Jonathan Merritt.

cekuhnen

Post by cekuhnen » Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:39 pm

yafray is well nice.

did you try out 3delight? i know studios using it for renderfarms.
fast simple and powerfull from my experience.

i hope crafter will support renderman shaders soon and when blender supports 3delight what green is working on tha wow blender has at least a top of the art renderengine for free.

wglwill

Post by wglwill » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:25 pm

I haven't noticed any one bring this up, but this renderman support will be able to just output a .rib file right? So that it can be hand edited.

cekuhnen

Post by cekuhnen » Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:30 pm

greens support sofar is creating rib files already.

and yes the rib files and shaders.sl are all editable!

thats the point and power behind it what i am pointing out.

blenders material system let me say the shaders/textures are pretty low end for what i am used today.

but with rendermand and an even more improved crafter well you know the answer.

wglwill

Post by wglwill » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:10 pm

Oh good. Originally he stated that his implementation would be done through the render panel. So you would just click Render. I was just concerned that would be the only way it's implemented since I don't recall him mentioning otherwise.
I'm really looking forward to renderman support, blender and renderman will be a powerful combination.

cekuhnen

Post by cekuhnen » Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:37 pm

yes you are right

it is done through the render panel.
question is if green will build in a shader system or if crafter will be build in / connected.

when you hit render the scene gets exported and sedn to 3delight...
or thats the way it should go.