Renderman Support Started

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

dittohead

Post by dittohead » Mon Oct 21, 2002 1:21 am

i would LOVE to take part in some beta testing.
dittohead

kino

Post by kino » Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:21 am

green wrote: No renderman renderer has support for particles really.
Instead you can draw a point or a sphere or a plane or whatever you want at every particles point in space.
ok, with 3delight is possible to render riCurves and riNUCurves 8)
I have looked at borg a little. I havent dont any decission on what network renderer should be used. I dont think I really care for that part.
you dont need to care about, maybe all the settings about the whole
scene/anim in a separate file so others manager can read to generate or manage different project/scene
i need to search more info about...

edited : just realized that with python is possible to write all setting , sorry
(its 0 degree's in karlshamn now.. and snow!!! :) )
i'm in the city of the next olimpic ski games, it's foggy now :(

when the first Blender ski cup ? 8)

thk's
Kino

Tobur

Post by Tobur » Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:06 am

green wrote:I havent yet seen a front end for renderman shaders that is actually usable for anything but very high end movie sort of stuff where you need extreme precision.
Just take a look at "ShaderMan" (http://www.dream.com.ua/thetool.html). It's a nice app programmed in Delphi. It's still under development but allready stable and complex at the moment. It look a lot like the new materialinterface which is discussed on Elysiun.

Cheers, Tobur

green

Post by green » Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:04 am

Tobur wrote:
green wrote:I havent yet seen a front end for renderman shaders that is actually usable for anything but very high end movie sort of stuff where you need extreme precision.
Just take a look at "ShaderMan" (http://www.dream.com.ua/thetool.html). It's a nice app programmed in Delphi. It's still under development but allready stable and complex at the moment. It look a lot like the new materialinterface which is discussed on Elysiun.

Cheers, Tobur
That is what I was refering to.

in my opinion shaderman is complete crap. Its just a graphical front end to the renderman shader language. You might aswell write the shaders yourself in notepad instead of using that app.

The point of a front end should be to simplify the underlying tool so that the task becomes self explanitory.
To use shaderman you havto know how the renderman shader language works.

I have yet to see any good shaders come from it.

*edit*
I just realised that I sound very evil about shaderman :)
I think its a fun tool to play with, but I dont think any usable results can be made easily with it. Ok, there, ive said something sortof nice about it :)
*edit*

sasKuach

Post by sasKuach » Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:41 am

I'm definitely looking forward to having renderman support. Keep up the good work Green!

lightweave

Why does it have to exist?

Post by lightweave » Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:58 pm

green wrote: If all external renderer's are implemented into the main app then they can scan to see if the renderer exists on the current system when blender starts. And then add a choise in the drop down list.
This would imho make it very simple for the end user and programmer.
Does the renderer have to exist on the current system in order to export to it? If not then why check if it exists? The user should be provided a choice of which renderoutputs are supported and then he should be able to use it no matter if it is currently installed or not.

lightweave

Why does it have to exist?

Post by lightweave » Wed Oct 30, 2002 3:59 pm

green wrote: If all external renderer's are implemented into the main app then they can scan to see if the renderer exists on the current system when blender starts. And then add a choise in the drop down list.
This would imho make it very simple for the end user and programmer.
Does the renderer have to exist on the current system in order to export to it? If not then why check if it exists? The user should be provided a choice of which renderoutputs are supported and then he should be able to use it no matter if it is currently installed or not.

WeeBull

Post by WeeBull » Tue Nov 05, 2002 4:37 pm

green wrote:No renderman renderer has support for particles really.
riPoints was introduced in the 3.2 spec as a way of doing lightweight particles. It's detailed in the spec and the Advanced Renderman book.

I believe it's implemented in (at least) PRMan.

green

Post by green » Wed Nov 06, 2002 4:34 pm

yes yes.
but points are useless for blenders particle system since they can only have one color. you cant have any sort of texture on them.
So they just looks like shit. Mostly only usefull for fireworks stuff

aqa

HEY BOY HEY GIRL

Post by aqa » Wed Nov 06, 2002 10:37 pm

:shock: Hey! i wouldn't disturb green with strange FAR AWAY features or working ways, let him work on that cool renderman connection.

He looks as if he knows what he is doing!

I'll enjoy playing with that export on rib renderer's as soon as soon as he releases it if he get's it!

Keep on green! i'm a beliver 8)

WeeBull

Post by WeeBull » Fri Nov 08, 2002 3:46 pm

green wrote:yes yes.
but points are useless for blenders particle system since they can only have one color. you cant have any sort of texture on them.
So they just looks like shit. Mostly only usefull for fireworks stuff
I think that's an over simplification, but I see your point.
aqa wrote:Hey! i wouldn't disturb green with strange FAR AWAY features or working ways, let him work on that cool renderman connection.
Wasn't my intention to disturb or annoy, just to make sure he was aware of the lightweight primitives, before going the heavyweight particle=sphere route.

edit: spelling

starea1

Post by starea1 » Sat Nov 16, 2002 9:50 am

Renderman?? Why not some other free rendering engine ? (povray or BMRT for example) . As 3D hobbyst i can hardly imagine to pay 1000$ to get good output form Blender.
Think there should be more options to renderers.

green

Post by green » Sat Nov 16, 2002 10:58 am

starea1 wrote:Renderman?? Why not some other free rendering engine ? (povray or BMRT for example) . As 3D hobbyst i can hardly imagine to pay 1000$ to get good output form Blender.
Think there should be more options to renderers.
bmrt is a renderman renderer.

povray is crap

starea1

Post by starea1 » Sat Nov 16, 2002 11:44 am

Hm... :(
In that case someone is doing work for nothing...I just checked out on Exlunas site about BMRT and they are stoping with distribution of BMRT.
In same time there is one article about Pixar and Exluna court process..

Anyone has more information how renderman (or BMRT) will be used in future and where will be possible to download it for free?
Thanks!

Article about Pixar and Exluna:
[/url]http://news.com.com/2100-1040-945553.html

green

Post by green » Sat Nov 16, 2002 1:24 pm

why would you want to download bmrt? it sucks