Renderman Support Started

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Pablosbrain

Post by Pablosbrain »

Page probably is out of date... but it may also be being developed.. but internally by nVidia as they bought out Exluna during their difficulty with Pixar.

Al_Capone

Post by Al_Capone »

If you looking for rendermen, try my webpage http://mysite.iptic.com/virtualblender/ ... inks2.html

tillius

Post by tillius »

I can't wait until it's available. Thanks GREEN!!!!

Martin

Post by Martin »

In case anyone hasn't noticed, 3Delight is now up to version 1.0, with global illumination, subdivision surfaces and some other new things supposedly implemented.

Haven't had the chance to have a go with it as I'm away from home at the moment but I'd love to see some renders. I'm especially excited about the promised GI, to see how it compares with BMRT in terms of render cost and graininess/blockiness.

Doesn't seem to be any update to the manual but hopefully 3Delight uses the same RIB calls for GI as BMRT does, so with any luck the BMRT RIB that Blenderman generates should work on 3Delight...

http://www.3delight.com

jmerritt

Couple of comments...

Post by jmerritt »

Hi All,

Couple of minor comments here.

First; re Aqsis:
It's a genuine REYES implementation of the RenderMan interface. Some of the initial images posted on the website weren't exactly stellar, but check out the current gallery images:
http://aqsis.sourceforge.net/index.php?module=gallery
Also take a look at the competition gallery. I'd urge anyone who thinks the image quality is bad to _actually_ _download_ _it_ (preferably the CVS version) and _actually_ _compare_ the output of identical scenes rendered in, say, 3delight, BMRT and Aqsis, before complaining. Any renderer can output bad looking pictures if not used correctly (the "garbage in, garbage out" principle!!!). Aqsis development is very active, and IMHO it's the best Open Source (with big capitals) renderer available! 8)

Second; 3delight:
Since Blender is an Open Source project, surely it should either:
a) not distinguish between different renderers, write out "general" RIB files and invoke external renderers in a general way
or:
b) support the Open Source renderers (ie: Aqsis, for the time being) first and foremost, adding support for freely available (but not Open Source) renderers as a secondary task.
I haven't used 3delight extensively, but I found a couple of major spec. non-conformities when I rendered some of my RiCurves test scenes in 3delight (which were confirmed as non-conformities by the 3delight team!). This could cause problems if, for example, Blender coders were to adjust output to "look good" in 3delight, thereby wrecking any chance of rendering properly in Aqsis.

Jonathan Merritt.

Jamesk

Post by Jamesk »

jmerrit: I've had a look at the current Aqsis gallery, including the competition stuff, and I still haven't seen anything remotely impressive or good looking.

You are right about the general guidelines, though - it would be very bad if the RIB output was tweaked to a particular flavor. On the other hand, a user option to apply such tweaks is of course a good thing.

Mario1981

Re: Couple of comments...

Post by Mario1981 »

jmerritt wrote:Hi All,

Couple of minor comments here.
First; re Aqsis:
(cut)
I completely agree . Aqsis is growing really fast and soon it will have dso shaders which will speedup the rendering. See the aqsis forum for more info.
It also come with a library (liri2rib) which converts Ri C calls to standard Rib files. In my opinion it should be better to use this library instead of printf() in the renderman.c code.

thornae

Post by thornae »

Jamesk wrote:I've had a look at the current Aqsis gallery, including the competition stuff, and I still haven't seen anything remotely impressive or good looking.
That's a little harsh, isn't it? :? Have you had a look at the pintime animation?

Actually, are you picking holes in the Aqsis gallery's artistic merit or the quality of rendering? The former is likely due to lack of high end Aqsis users - most of the other Renderman compliant programs have galleries filled with PRman models from fulltime 3d artists, most of Aqsis' stuff seems to be from people involved in coding it...

I've been playing with BMRT, Aqsis and 3Delight recently, and found them more or less equal in terms of final image quality. BMRT and 3Delight do seem slightly better than Aqsis at working with some of the more complicated shaders, and are definitely faster, but I've seen no other reason to find Aqsis lacking - and it's improving all the time.
Incidentally, BMRT is the only one of the three I've managed to get reflective and transparent surfaces happening in so far...
and 3Delight's non-standard tags are starting to really cheese me.

green

Post by green »

matt_e

Re: Couple of comments...

Post by matt_e »

While I agree it would be great to be able to seamlessly choose between any renderman renderer, I have to disagree with this point. Blender being open source does not in any way force any obligations on its developers with regards to the sorts of features to implement and the sorts of directions to take.

The whole point of an open source project is that people are free to work on what they want. Even if Green wants to tailor the export specifically towards 3delight making it totally incompatible with anything else, then fine - he's doing the work, so it's his perogative. The code is open, so if anyone else would like to modify it and make it compatible with other renderers, they're more than welcome to do so.

While in some cases it can be convenient, there are no rules that say all programmers working on open source projects must place their priorities with other open source projects. That would go against the very nature of free software.
jmerritt wrote:Since Blender is an Open Source project, surely it should either:
a) not distinguish between different renderers, write out "general" RIB files and invoke external renderers in a general way
or:
b) support the Open Source renderers (ie: Aqsis, for the time being) first and foremost, adding support for freely available (but not Open Source) renderers as a secondary task.

cekuhnen

Post by cekuhnen »

3delight: i have friends who use this software for their own business doing 3d cartoon movies. www.noitaminanimation.com

sofar 3delight is not the best like pixars renderman but also not the worest one and on a renderfarm works pretty fast.

hey green, i was not able to get the color bleeding in 3delight working. could you send me your shader you have used for the example at elYsiun?

i am new in writing shaders and huh math isnt my big thing since i am more an artist.

i think a visual shadertool would speed up the process since it writes most of the functions for you and than later when you need a fix you can do it by your own hand.

pixels digital and their shadermakerpro inside Pixels3D Studio 4.52 is a powerfull tool. sicne i am a user of that tool for a long time i know it power.
however since the math behind is always the same often you see similar renderresults in the fractal calculations.

but however for an artist a visual tool could speed up the shader devellopment a lot!!!

take care

claas

green

Re: ...

Post by green »

cekuhnen wrote:3delight: i have friends who use this software for their own business doing 3d cartoon movies. www.noitaminanimation.com

sofar 3delight is not the best like pixars renderman but also not the worest one and on a renderfarm works pretty fast.

hey green, i was not able to get the color bleeding in 3delight working. could you send me your shader you have used for the example at elYsiun?

i am new in writing shaders and huh math isnt my big thing since i am more an artist.

i think a visual shadertool would speed up the process since it writes most of the functions for you and than later when you need a fix you can do it by your own hand.

pixels digital and their shadermakerpro inside Pixels3D Studio 4.52 is a powerfull tool. sicne i am a user of that tool for a long time i know it power.
however since the math behind is always the same often you see similar renderresults in the fractal calculations.

but however for an artist a visual tool could speed up the shader devellopment a lot!!!

take care

claas

Since I have aimed the renderman output so that when its done you wont havto do more then click the render button to get good results I have opted for automatic shader writing and compiling of the app. So the exporter creates and compiles a renderman shader for every object that has a material(should probibly do one shader per material, but since the system works I will leave it like this untill I get time for optimizations)

SO if you want to see the GI color bleeding download a new tuhopuu release and export a mesh with a material that has GI turned on and you will get a shader that uses color bleeding :)

cekuhnen

Post by cekuhnen »

call me dum but:

what is tuhopuu and where can i download it?
i have a mac g4 and os x 10.2.x
no PC on my side with linux od windows in case "tuhopuu" is only for pc.

sorry for that i am only and artist and never made it to learn real programming...

claas

LethalSideParting

Good ol' POV-Ray

Post by LethalSideParting »

povray is crap
That's a bit harsh, isn't it? Take a look at:

http://www.povray.org/community/hof/view/1/
http://www.povray.org/community/hof/view/2/
http://www.povray.org/community/hof/view/12/

and especially

http://www.povray.org/community/hof/view/10/

Yes, it might be slow (it's a raytracer, what were you expecting?? :wink: ) but it's results can be nothing short of stunning. Should we really be quite so quick to dismiss it?

LethalSideParting

cekuhnen

Post by cekuhnen »

i realy like that pov ray has so many fatures but a reyes based render is an industry standart. for a home user pov ray is an option but not when it coms to animation and high cgFX.

3delight is sofar not realy a bad solution. you have to write your own shaders and that sucks ass. i work with pixels 3d studio and it creates procedual shaders with an awesome quality. tempest their reyes renderer reads it and renders them fine.

but i would prever a reyes based renderengine!

--ce