Can Blender Write to Disk after RAM is Used?

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

Wet Sponge

Can Blender Write to Disk after RAM is Used?

Post by Wet Sponge » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:57 pm

Hi there,

I was just wondering if Blender can write to disk after it has used up the RAM?

From my results I'd say it doesn't. My tests have shown that it only uses RAM. If I'm wrong, please let me know!

If Blender doesn't write to disk I think it would be a good addition. Even though writing to disk is vastly slower than using RAM, I think it could help most people working on bigger projects.

Thanks in advance for all comments, feedback, and answers!

stiv

Post by stiv » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:46 am

In a modern multi-tasking operating system, each process is tricked into thinking it is running all alone. A 32 bit processor can address roughly 4 gig of memory. That gets divided up as 1-2 gig for the operating system and the remainder, 2-3 gig for the application.

The operating system will page applications in and out of swap space (on disk), but that does not change the size of the processors address space. Swapping to disk means you can run multiple applications, but they each are still limited in the amount of memory they can address.

Wet Sponge

Post by Wet Sponge » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:18 am

I think you may have misunderstood me, sorry.

I mean while rendering can Blender write to disk if there is not enough RAM?

Shorter and sweeter. :P

simtron

Post by simtron » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:44 am

I guess thats the very concept of virtual memory.
On low memory systems, you can virtually assign hard disk space as memory to run memory cruncher programs.It can be done on Windows systems, I donno much about linux systems(although I use them).

Wet Sponge

Post by Wet Sponge » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:23 pm

simtron wrote:I guess thats the very concept of virtual memory.
On low memory systems, you can virtually assign hard disk space as memory to run memory cruncher programs.It can be done on Windows systems, I donno much about linux systems(although I use them).

I'm on windows. :)

How can I set up my system so Blender can write to the HDD if it runs out of RAM?

simtron

Post by simtron » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:11 pm

Right click your Mycomputer icon in start menu, from there go to properties,from there to performance, in that open the virtual memory tab and from there choose an empty drive and add virtual memory size.It should work.