How to achieve a render like this...

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ytinu11

How to achieve a render like this...

Post by ytinu11 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 7:52 pm

http://3docean.net/item/low-poly-city-m ... els/752954

What I'm asking is, how would I even go about making a render look like that? I'm not looking for a step by step, but something that would point me in the right direction.
I'm not a 3d artist, so I just have square cubes with generic textures on them, and I'm trying to achieve a look like that.

Thanks.[/url]

SirDude

Post by SirDude » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:01 pm

Start simple. Start with the road. You'll want to look at uv-mapping to
get a nice looking road.

Then maybe work on some of the simple objects the semi boxcars, cones, lamp posts etc..
Then tackle a building.

Do a google search for blender road to get started...

ytinu11

Post by ytinu11 » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:28 pm

Thanks for the reply SirDude.

But I should have been clearer. How do you make a render of a scene with that type of atmosphere? It kinda reminds me of Mr Roger's Neighborhood (tv show here in the US...outside of US too?)
As of right now, I'm just using the default renderer of blender, by hitting f12. And its less than spectacular.
Is there any settings that I could use to make my renders look like that? Or is it textures that make it look like that?
Just wondering if anyone has links or tips on settings, or anything that will help me achieve that type of look.

SirDude

Post by SirDude » Wed Feb 22, 2012 11:03 pm

There is a "style" quality to it.

Texturing is a big part of it, but modeling also can play a part.
For example look at this post:
http://www.blender.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20562

The models all have a certain quality to them.

Again just start simple and get it the way you want it, working your way up.

What some people do is search for a bunch of pictures on the internet that have the qualities you want to capture, and then create a collage of them that you can look at while working on your project.

Example lets say I'm doing a fire hydrant
Maybe I find a picture that I like the top of, or the way the bolts are spaced on it, or the way the chains hang, or the proportions of the tubes, or the paint on one of them. I take all of these images and it gives me a feel for how a fire hydrant should look.

ldo

Post by ldo » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:01 pm

Lighting also plays a big part. There is a toylike/indoor-set look, because there are at least two light sources: a ‘sun” light in a specific direction, but also a more broad-based hemispheric/ambient light, which is stronger than the sun. The result is that the shadows from the sun light are not as dark as they would be in a realistic outdoor scene.

ytinu11

Post by ytinu11 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:07 pm

"There is a toylike/indoor-set look". Thats it! Couldn't quite explain it myself.
Thanks for the help. Will look into lighting.