problems while rendering animation

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

daniel faubert

problems while rendering animation

Post by daniel faubert » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:37 pm

Hi

I'm a bit of a noob in blender. I'm having trouble rendering. I'm not using Cycles, just the regular blender render engine. The renders i'm making are kind of a long shot since there is about 17000 frames in the project i'm working on. The thing is that Blender always crashes at a certain point. I start the render and go home for a good night of sleep, hoping it will be done the next day. But every single time since to this day, Blender crashes after a certain time. Meaning that when i arrive at studio, the mouse cursor is in the spinning wheel mode (mac os) and the render is stucked on a frame. I noticed at first that it crashed when the screen went to sleep. I tried changing all the setting so that my computer would never go to sleep but still, it crashes. I read on some forum that maybe it was memory related, or CPU related, so i changed the number of threads available for render. Still nothing. My machine is quite up to date, I have a macpro dual quadcore, 16 Gb ram and a flash drive, an ATI radeon HD 5870.
The reason why there is so much to render, is because its a travelling sequence. I'm not even trying to render the whole thing, just the bits i'm working on. And know that the geometry is quite simple at this time, since it's only the animatics/previs work; no high res textures or anything, only basic color materials. This is troubling to me because it looks like I would have to be watching Blender while rendering so when its crashes, start it again from where it stopped.

I'm also new to these forums things, so i'm not sure if its a real problem?

Thanks.

stiv

Post by stiv » Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:21 pm

First off, render frames rather than some movie format. This makes it easy to restart a render.

If you run blender from a terminal window (via the command line), it will spit out messages with some large numbers if you are running out of memory.

If lack of memory is not a problem (and I suspect not), if you can make a .blend that reliably crashes, you can file a bug report.

If you have the skills to run blender in the debugger, that would provide some useful information.

daniel faubert

Post by daniel faubert » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:29 pm

Does Blender use the startup disk to store data temporarily while rendering (in a cache folder or something)? Because I just noticed that it is almost full. I'm cleaning it up right now, do you think it will make any difference?

mobimo

Re: problems while rendering animation

Post by mobimo » Tue Mar 26, 2013 2:32 pm

Hi

I'm actually running in the same problems as discribed, rendering with the blender render (no cycles).

blender freezes after a couple of render frames (sometimes after 30+, sometimes after 100+-), and I have to restart it.
This happens with different scenes.

I'm running a Win7 64 i7 PC with 8GB RAM. The Task Manager shows memory usage up to around 3GB while rendering, so I assume it isn't the RAM (???).

Does anybody have an idea what could be done here?
Thanks for any suggestions and help.