REQUEST: NO RENDER LIMIT

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

A2597

REQUEST: NO RENDER LIMIT

Post by A2597 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:02 pm

ok, odd one here, but I have a project that requires a 24,000 x 30,000 resolution render. Yes insane, and yes nessasary...

blender unfortunetally, caps at 10,000 ....

Is there a possibility of having this fixed? (Yes I am expecting insane rendertimes...16 osa with motionblur at 30,000 ..... *sigh* )
The man with his head stuck in the Blender.

levon

Post by levon » Thu Mar 11, 2004 3:07 pm

OMFG what are you rendering this for?

im sure this would be possible, i mean alltaken got the vertex and light limit raised :P

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Thu Mar 11, 2004 5:38 pm

iirc the limits are just numbers in the source

but there are other constraints on them that I can't think of at the moment that may cause blender problems.

that size file may not fit in your ram, or on a hard disk

filesystems I know of now limit files to 2Gb max
and computers I know of now allow a program to allocate at most 4Gb of ram (even then requiring a 64-bit machine)

finally, I think that image will end up being 5Gb inside of blender if rendered all at once

(could use parts rendering so that blender doesn't allocate so much space for the zbuffer at once and get like a third of that... but even that is huge)

perhaps blender needs a commandline parts rendering option, to save parts as different files? (which you can deal with as necescary)

ilac

Post by ilac » Thu Mar 11, 2004 6:53 pm

Are you sure you need it that size?? Not even photoshop can handle files that size and you rarely need such big sizes, not even to print billboards etc which span 3 metres!!

I'd be curious to know what it's for - if you are allowed to share such details, please? Thanks! :D

A2597

Post by A2597 » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:06 pm

well, I might be able to make due with 26,000 tall, photoshop can open one that big.

how can I do parts rendering so it is seamless?

it's for a poster, he would prefer 600dpi, but at 10,000 it's only 277 dpi....

solmax

Post by solmax » Thu Mar 11, 2004 8:26 pm

hmmmmm... given the FOV (Fa) of the camera.. divide it by two = new FOV (Fb)..rotate camera horizontally by Fb/2°, render first part.. then rotate it in the other direction by Fb° - second part. also consider the vertical rotation - simply divide your visible area into 4 quadrants and watch at each of them using the appropriate camera rotation

actually blender can do rendering in parts (for consuming less memory at once, i think), but the image is composited in the end. you'd need a hack of the sourcecode, where each part is saved directly after it's renderd, and before the next part is begun.

ideasman

Post by ideasman » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:02 am

Im interested in why you need such huge images :)

The image your talking about would be over 5 gig per frame-

Thats a lot- But I have used images in the gimp that are > 500 meg and know that somtimes huge files are needed.

If your system can handle it then try modifying the source of blender, I think using xparts/yparts might help with memory management.

The other option is to export to povray/yafray - Im sure you could use blenders yafray export and interveen with the width/height variables.
These renderers might not have the limitations that blenders does - i havent looked into it though

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:41 am

solmax wrote:hmmmmm... given the FOV (Fa) of the camera.. divide it by two = new FOV (Fb)..rotate camera horizontally by Fb/2°, render first part.. then rotate it in the other direction by Fb° - second part. also consider the vertical rotation - simply divide your visible area into 4 quadrants and watch at each of them using the appropriate camera rotation
it is more complex than camera rotation (the view frustrum is skewed), and unless you can directly set the camera matrix, it isn't possible to render different parts to multiple files in blender

I am also curious about what the need of such a large image is

(an app I tried maxed out image size at 3150Mb)

A2597

Post by A2597 » Sat Mar 13, 2004 3:06 am

A2597 wrote: ...
it's for a poster, he would prefer 600dpi, but at 10,000 it's only 277 dpi....

birras

Post by birras » Thu Apr 08, 2004 12:43 am

....hm..why not render parts and later ....hmm
this link might be of some help:
http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/

hope this app can be of any help