Blender internal renderer problems

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

iindigo3D

Blender internal renderer problems

Post by iindigo3D » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:48 pm

Hi!

I've been using Blender for awhile now and love it. There's a problem though - Whenever I render something over 400x600 or so it freezes the entire OS up hard. It happens with every Blender release I've tried, including the old 2.55, latest versions, and even the Intel optimized build. I'm running Windows 2K Pro with an Nvidia TNT2 graphics card with 32MB of VRAM.

I use Blender on Mac OS X too and don't have this problem... Of course that's Windows for ya ;) Maybe I should switch to Linux...

What's wrong?

Thanks!

leinad13

Post by leinad13 » Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:32 pm

Im not positive but it could be due to Windows 2k, have you considered getting WindowsXP its great.
-------------
Over to you boffins

L!13

soletread

Post by soletread » Wed May 12, 2004 9:46 pm

iindigo3D.

Are you by any chance using Ray Tracing in your scene. With a BIG world? in other words a possible reflection a great distance away from your object?

I have noticed Blender's Ray Tracer will hang my OS up completely under these condidtions. Its a pity to have to resort to env maps as they just dont give the same glass texture.

Cheers

----

soletread

Post by soletread » Wed May 12, 2004 9:51 pm

P.S.

The old 2.55 would be? You mean 2.25? Hmm then it wouldnt be a Ray Trace problem 8)

-----

jncassity

Post by jncassity » Tue Jun 29, 2004 7:42 pm

I have been having this problem recently as well.
I’m using winxp home, 512mb ram with an Nvidia vanta with 16 mb vram.
After the computer freezes, it will shut down by itself after a few seconds. When it reboots, the windows error refers to the video card (I'm not sure what it says exactly since I’m not at my house right now).

I assume that it has some thing to do with the small amount of vram or the tnt2 architecture (I believe vanta is based on tnt2, correct?) but I didn’t have this problem until recently (within the last few months)

I do plan on buying a new card sometime soon since an upgrade is way overdue - hopefully this will solve my problem.

Until then, I understand how this problem can be quite frustrating and hope that someone could offer more insight.

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Wed Jun 30, 2004 6:53 am

blender runs on a tnt2 card with 256Mb of ram and windows xp just fine
[well, its slow but it is stable]

consider buying a geforce 2 card, they're like $40 iirc

it could be your drivers or ram or any number of things, but it shouldn't be blender

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Thu Jul 01, 2004 5:21 am

I guessing you have either some dodgey RAM, or dirty power. Do you experience other random crashes, or is it just with a Blender render? Unless you're seriously abusing it, Win2K runs without a hiccup.

slikdigit

Post by slikdigit » Fri Jul 02, 2004 4:38 pm

I too don't think this is a result of the software/os.
If the same scene doesn't crash your mac, it most likely isn't the scene taking up available memory (though your mac may have more memory than the pc)
check:
hardware: ram and power supply as mentioned before prime suspects.
drivers: video driver being the prime suspect.

pHong

Post by pHong » Fri Jul 09, 2004 10:27 am

I have been having this problem recently as well.
I’m using winxp home, 512mb ram with an Nvidia vanta with 16 mb vram.
After the computer freezes, it will shut down by itself after a few seconds. When it reboots, the windows error refers to the video card ...
the same thing happened to me after updating my video card driver(i also have a 16 mb Nvidia Vanta & win XP). i read somewhere to change the display properties > settings > color quality to 16 bit in the control panel. i tried it and the problem went away.

the renders look ugly in 16 bit tho so you'll have to switch to back to 32 bit to view it properly:?

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:59 pm

pHong wrote:the renders look ugly in 16 bit tho so you'll have to switch to back to 32 bit to view it properly:?
or save it and view it in 32 bit color

[iirc image editors will dither images at a higher color depth than the screen, so you would get a pretty good idea of what it looks like by opening it in the gimp or photoshop even staying at 16 bit color mode]