Speed up the rendering with hardware accel

Blender's renderer and external renderer export

Moderators: jesterKing, stiv

ebrain

Speed up the rendering with hardware accel

Post by ebrain » Mon Apr 12, 2004 11:42 pm

Hi guys !! :)

It's a newbie question, but is it possible, like in MAYA, to speed up the render process with hardware acceleration ? :? We know that blender's internal renderer is slower and slower (yeah, no optimizations right now...) and I think that it could reduce the render time. Most of the new graphics cards are now ready for OpenGL2 ! All vector processes could be done easier with it...

Am I wrong !? :?
Bye... :wink:

solmax

Post by solmax » Tue Apr 13, 2004 3:12 pm

1 - you are wrong about the speed of blender's internal renderer - in my opinion it's one of the fastest around, as long as you don't use excessively raytrace/radiosity. it's built for speed, and it does quite a good job.

2 - i agree about the HW-acceleration issue, this should speed up things even more, but i think it would be hard to implement. even now there are problems with certain graphic cards (ATI to name it), and this only concerns the UI-drawing. switching rendering to the graphic card could create even more problems.

3 - still it would be worth a trial, i even proposed some time ago to use vertex-shaders for skinning (bone deformation).

4 - maybe blender could be run entirely in graphic card hardware ;)

ebrain

Oki

Post by ebrain » Tue Apr 13, 2004 8:34 pm

Oki, thanks a lot for all these precisions...

Bye :)

z3r0_d

Post by z3r0_d » Fri Apr 16, 2004 6:05 am

solmax wrote:3 - still it would be worth a trial, i even proposed some time ago to use vertex-shaders for skinning (bone deformation).

4 - maybe blender could be run entirely in graphic card hardware ;)
okay, main problem I see with current (gaming, non-workstation [not quadro or firegl lines] cards) is difference in results they can get for the same thing

both in performance and (more importantly) in output

distributing a render on mutiple systems with different graphics cards can result in different frames (or parts of frames, depending on what you distribute) not appearing the same. mostly the differences have to do with precision, of anistropic filtering (and technique for), anti aliasing, and lighting interpolation.

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Fri Apr 16, 2004 1:07 pm

If you're planning to distribute rendering, you're most likely in a pro or semi-pro environment. If you're planning to do it with in on the video card, you'd probably buy all the say kind for your systems.

macouno

Post by macouno » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:13 pm

harky well.. I have multiple systems.. and would like to distribute but they're just systems I scrounged over the years... so not the same...

I think for a lot of us it would be rather easy to bring together a couple systems... especially if you can look around for cheaper out fo date systems. That may well be more affordable than buying the very latest "hardware accelerator".

harkyman

Post by harkyman » Fri Apr 16, 2004 5:37 pm

Right, but the hardware accelerated renders would most likely take advantage of OpenGL 2, which will be best used on brand new video cards. If you want to distrute renders, you can do that now with a cobbled-together farm and the command line distribution tools that already exist. Hardware accel is a high-end feature, and I would hate to see it ignored because it wouldn't be necessarily usable on older stuff.

steve@physics.queensu.ca

Post by steve@physics.queensu.ca » Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:13 pm

I agree that hardware accelerated rendering would be problematic
to implement.
The one factor that it would/could have going for it though is that
you could use a bunch of cheap/older/slower machines and then
buy the same "semi decent"video card for all of them. Essencially
changing a low performance machine into a decent "rendering"
machine. Just my 2 cents minus taxes (about 1 cent)